Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Everyday migraines from Zoloft?
jo_mama_80 posted:
I have been on zoloft for about 4 months. 2 months ago I started having a daily headache. My DR diagnosed me with Migraines. I was given Imitrex.. Still had the headaches. DR referred me to a neurologist. Given Topamax daily 75mg. Tried 100mg for 4 days had adverse reaction. Went back to 75 still no relief. I was on Topamax daily for a month(+ -) and Imitrex at time of headache. No relief. MRI showed nothing abnormal. Blood tests normal. Neuro switched to Nortriptaline (sp?) I have not taken it yet b/c I feel like I am too medicated... I have also been prescribed Baclofen, Ultram, and Maxalt. I stopped taking everything except for the Zoloft. Still getting headaches. Wondering if they could be caused by Zoloft???

lisahauer09 responded:
Yes SSRIs can cause headaches.Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft and Celexa are all SSRI's. Actually any anti-depressant can cause headaches, but some more than others, and particularly SSRIs. Were you taking the Zoloft for depression? If so, what others have you tried? You should probably try the Nortriptyline, because it is also prescribed for migraines. Actually it's better to take it's cousin, Amitriptyline,because it has a better track record for mig prevention, but both can help you sleep better if you have chronic pain. If you stop taking the Zoloft and your headaches disappear, then I guess any other anti-depressant could work for your depression, so I guess you would then shop around,if your dr hasn't already tried you on others. Also sometimes neuros prescribe welbutrin, cymbalta and neurontin for migs, which are all anti-depressants.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center