Skip to content
is something new being told to doctors regarding prescribing pain meds?
daveskittycat posted:
I've been on my current narc pain med since 2003. I have not increased nor decreased my dosages. This works well for me. Yesterday my neuro told me the DEA was putting a restriction on the amount of pills I can take and NOW he wants me to TRY and cut it in 1/2. He's got to be kidding. I haven't slept in 3 days, I feel sick, I hurt all over and I'm pretty sure I'm no fun to be around (being unnaturally bitchy). But the biggest heartbreak, is now my pain after all these years, is not being covered. I can't live any life at all resting in a dark room with no sound. I have Trigeminal Neralgia. Along with my headache I get facial drooping and taste disruption.

Please does anyone have anything I can say on what I could say to my neuro to not mess with my meds?

atti_editor responded:
Hi daveskittycat,

I am so sorry that you are in such pain. My suggestion would be to tell your neuro exactly what you said here pertaining to your worsening symptoms and ask what can be done to adjust your medication accordingly. I hope that you can get this resolved so that you are able to get back to your regular activities. Please keep us updated on how you are doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

allie_bf responded:
Oral narcotics are generally not regarded as an appropriate treatment for migraine, given all of the other options available, and with increased oversight by the DEA, you probably will have to expect that you will need a new treatment. That said, asking you to cut your dosage in half suddenly, after you have been on it for this long seems way too steep. It's no surprise that you are feeling miserable, and having withdrawal symptoms. Let your doctor know that you are having difficulty tapering back so quickly, and ask what you can do to make this switch more slowly, and find out what other options are available.

rosielou responded:
My understanding is that the DEA is not making any changes to Rx requirements. However they are putting pressure on doctors to dial down the amount of scripts they write. And doctors don't want to be visible so they're trying to comply where possible. Sometimes they're in a no win position. But then you're stuck in pain, trigeminal neuralgia is more extreme than many of us will ever experience.

It would be good for you to discuss your situation again with your doctor. If that doesn't work, then you probably need to find someone else. I don't think you can deal with that without the drugs. Is there a teaching hospital near you or a good neurology department?

I hope you find some answers soon.

Rose

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center