Skip to content
Ice Pick Headaches
cbutler44 posted:
I am currently having fairly consistent "Ice Pick" headaches. I have had them before but only 1 or 2 at the time. It has gone on most of the day and i was curious if I should be concerned and go see a doctor?

atti_editor responded:
Hi cbutler44,

I found this information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders that has a section on ice pick headaches. It says that they can happen as infrequently as once a year or as frequently as multiple times daily.

Have you ever seen a doctor for your headaches? They are most likely nothing to be concerned about, but as this Johns Hopkins piece says, these types of headaches can sometimes be stopped by an anti-inflammatory medication called indomethacin or the hormonal food supplement melatonin.

You might make an appointment with your doctor to get an assessment on your headaches and to see if one of the above treatments could help. The first link also mentions that ice pick headaches can sometimes be triggered by sudden movement, bright lights and emotional stress, so those are also things to keep in mind.

Best wishes,
Atti

cbutler44 replied to atti_editor's response:
Thank you Atti for the information! I went to see a doctor yesterday and they suggested it was caused by the reduction in Caffeine. I have backed off but I haven't quit drinking it... so it kinda struck me as odd... because I was having these headaches before I tried to cut out some of the caffeine and sugar. I do stare at a computer screen all day which Im sure doesn't help either and a slight increase lately in my stress levels. Everything seems to be fine though today so hopefully it'll stay that way.
Thanks again!
Cliff

atti_editor replied to cbutler44's response:
I am glad you are doing better and than you were able to get this cleared by a doctor. Hope you are still headache free!

-Atti

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center