Skip to content
Severe Exertion Headaches - need advice
spikingheadachesufferer posted:
I am a 41 year old and outside a being a few pounds overweight, I am a fairly healthy male. For the past 3 years, I have suffered from extremely intense headaches that are triggered anytime I hold my breath, bend over or lift anything. The headaches can last from 20 seconds to 2 minutes, but are absolutely excruciating. The headaches get more intense the more I do an activity that requires bending over or lifting. For example, when I recently assembled a TV stand, it required that I bend over for an hour or so at various time. The headaches from doing so were so intense I was afraid I was going to pass out. I have been to two neurologists, chiropractors and multiple family practitioners. I have had 2 MRIs on my brain and neck, a MRA to check my blood vessels and sinuses. There are no masses or constricted blood vessels. I have healthy blood pressure. No one has a clue what is causing these headaches. The headaches occur in multiple places, including the forehead area, near both temples simultaneously, in the back of the head towards the top or around the base of my head near the neckline. I am afraid to do several basic activities because they could trigger the headaches. My neurologist is recommending I get a CAT scan next and if that is inconclusive, he wants me to get a spinal tap to check the spinal fluid.

If you have any ideas I could share with my neurologist, please let me know. I need your help.

jonnyp responded:
I suffered from chronic migraines since 20008. I knocked mine from everyday to 1 every month or so. I was taking 8 rounds of meds to get rid of them. Then a friend introduced me to an all natural, organic product called Limu, the super nutrient in it has over 1100 independent studies,
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=fucoidan
jonnypye.iamLimu.com

svenne responded:
The ct scan won't give anything the mri doesn't.
This type of headache could have organic causes, fortunately they are all pretty much ruled out since the mri and mra looked good. You could still have IIH which is why the neurologist wants to do a spinal tap I guess. However, this is quite unlikely too since the mri didn't show any signs of this.

There is something called primary cough headache/primary exertion headache that gives these symptoms. It is generally treated with indomethacin.

There is also a possibility that you have some kind of weird migraine that gets triggered from these events you describe. Then you should try some migraine prophylactic, usually a blood pressure drug like propranolol or verapamil.

Best wishes!

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center