Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Day 67 & counting...
An_257141 posted:
So I don't know if this is so much a discussion as it would be a cry for some support or knowledge that someone else out there has dealt with something similar, but I have had a headache that has caused me significiant daily "brain fog" and severly hindered my quality of life for over two months now with no signs of stopping.

Some backstory - a little over two months ago I drove white-knuckled cross-state (I live on the east side of Washington state) in a treacherous snow storm at about half the freeway speed limit. The morning after the drive I woke up with a nasty headache, which I chalked up to being in the bloody car for 8 hours. This was only the beginning (and ultimately it may not have any bearing on anything).

Ever since then, every single morning, I wake up with a headache. A dull, pressure headache that consumes my entire head. Triggered by nothing. It's just there. It seems to get a bit better with a heavy dose of ibuprofen and weekly massage therapy, but it doesn't go away. The doctor thought it was sinus related, so I tried antibiotics, nasal sprays, and even the Neti pot. Nothing. Then we thought it was eye strain. Got my eyes checked and prescription double checked. I work in front of computers every day, but I have for 10 years with no problems and take regular breaks from the screen, so that's been all but ruled out. Then we thought maybe TMJ related, so I got a bite guard and started sleeping with that but it really hasn't helped. Ultimately, I'm now taking "Topamax" which is doing nothing and already tried 1 or 2 other migraine related drugs (this headache is definitely NOT a migraine) while waiting for a referral for a neurologist to go through the system.

While I wait, I decided to come here and see if there is anyone out there who has had to cope with something like this - pain I can handle, but this 'fog' - this daily confusion and mental difficulty I can't. I've spent my whole life being great at my job and being a vibrant, fun-loving person and now every day is about getting out of bed and surviving until I can get back in to bed. What could be causing this headache? What can I do to get my head back on track? Why do I feel so dang tired all day regardless of how much I sleep? I'm just hoping someone else out there has been where I've been and can let me know that I'm not alone and give me some advice on how I can get out of this gray cloud...

jules1202 responded:
That is a long time to be in constant pain!

Have they done blood test to check for defiencies?
The fog is concerning but keep in mind a medicine like topamax will increase your fog (I call it stupidmax) so it may be making your problem worse!
Have they MRI'd your neck? The fact that it started after a long stressful car ride makes me wonder about the neck being the trigger point and I have heard of a number of people with neck problems and their only inital symptom was a constant headache.

Helpful Tips

Migranes
I have found that taking 2 excedrine migrane and two benedryl helps with most of mine better that perscription pain pills More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center