Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Headache from getting hot
justcomfy posted:
My 8 year old gets headaches when she gets hot. Weather it's in the winter or summer if she starts to get hot she's down and sometimes it's for the rest of the day. She was diagnosed with migranes at the age of 5. In the summer I try to prevent them but I can only do so much. She drinks water and has a neck cooler. We tried the gatoraid the other day, just before she went out to play I had her start drinking it to see if that helped any. It didn't seem to do anything different than water does. She's a kid and wants to run and play so I can't keep her form running and playing wheather it's inside or outside. I'd just like to stop the headaches!
I am looking for some answers I guess, since the doctors can't help.

jules1202 responded:
Have you taken her to a pediatric neurologist or just a regular ped for the headaches? have they ruled out childhood MS (its rare and a wild guess but the heat induced headaches not related to dehydration reminds me of MS a bit). Does she have any other issue/symptom besides headaches?

justcomfy replied to jules1202's response:
Yes she has been to a neurologist and was diagnosed with migraine headaches. I am calling today to get her back in. I just know they will want to put her on a preventitive medication, and that worries me a little. She is 8 and was diagnosed at the age of 5. She gets headaches from motion so riding in my truck she'll get a headache within a few minutes and she gets a bellyache along with it sometimes.

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center