Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tight Upper Trapeze and daily headaches
An_257477 posted:
My daughter is 14 years old. On July 2012 she was diagnosed with 2 stress fractures on her lower lumbar area. She was on a full brace for 6 months during which she did physical therapy for her lower back. At the end of december 2012, her full brace was off and she had an mri which showed her fractures did not heal but were surrounded by scar tissue. 2 weeks after she started getting headaches on the top of her head, daily and missed school. She was sen by a neurologist and she prescribed amitripyline which after 3 months she had to switch to topomax and created worst headaches because she discontinued one to start a new medicine. She still suffres from daily headaches, some days worst than others. She has seen physical therapist, massage therapist, acupuncturist, and still her headaches are there. Her upper trapeze is really tight and has been since she took the brace off and her neck is tight too. I would like some guidance of what type of doctor (chiropractor, orthopedic??)I can take her to that will view the whole picture and the possible relation between her injury, her tight upper trapeze, tight neck and daily headaches. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

briska21 responded:
When I was 16, (I'm 23 now) I suffered similar back fractures except mine were burst compression fractures in the lower lumbar region. I also had 2 same fractures in a different accident in my thoracic region. I was also put in a brace for 6 months, brutal! But what caught my eye was the fact your daughter has chronic migraines as do I. I'm currently taking topamax every night as well as immitrex when I feel one coming on and valium and vicodin for muscle aches and pain in my back. I would definitely try a chiropractor and massage therapy as its been recommended to me many times. For me, any tightness or strain to my neck can cause a full blown migraine. Hope she finds what works for her! And definitely take care of those back muscles!!

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center