Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    dellfalconer posted:
    Hi, I just joined this community.

    I am a 54-year-old male who has had several types of headaches, including migraines, since I was about 18.

    What plagues me most at the moment are chronic dull aches in my right temple that flare up when certain triggers occur but also for no apparent reason.

    One trigger is lying down on my left side. Within seconds my right temple begins to ache so that I can't sleep on my left side. I even feel it when I sit upright and lean slightly to the left.

    After 4 visits to a physical therapist who massages my back, neck and shoulders, it has gotten somewhat better, but he is concerned that it hasn't disappeared completely and mentioned a phrase that shocked me: brain tumor. He says I need to get an MR scan to rule out the possibility. None of the seemingly hundreds of specialists I have visited in the past decades mentioned that possibility. It scared me.

    Needless to say I will be visiting my GP on Monday to ask him to refer me.
    Anon_2712 responded:
    Docs always want to rule out the worst case scenario first. Check with your GP to see if he wants any scanning done, and what type (for questions of brain tumors and bleeds, CT is often actually recommended over MRI, at least as a first scan.) With a persistent unexplained headache though, what may first happen is a referral to a neurologist for the headache workup. The docs will let you know when/if to be scared, try not to worry unnecessarily (yes, I know that's easier said than done, but it you can do it, it's the best route to peace of mind.)
    dellfalconer replied to Anon_2712's response:
    I've had a CT, apparently nothing unusual. I've visited a neurologist (my wife's friend's husband). He wasn't much help. He said pretty much, "Hey, I have headaches, too. You need to learn to live with them." Not helpful.

    Helpful Tips

    Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
    Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    83 of 112 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center