Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pressure headache for 9 months
ollieengee posted:
Hi, I'm a 15 year old boy, who used to be very physically active. About 9 months ago, I got hit in the back of the head by another student who swung a wet shirt at me. Later that day, I began to feel a little dizzy. The next day, I began to feel tension in the back of my head and neck, as well as fatigue on top of that dizziness. And after gym class, I would feel more tired than usual, and my symptoms would aggravate. I was too scared to go to any sports as I thought I may have sustained a concussion. So after a few days, the symptoms did not go away, so I went to a walk-in clinic. The doctor there said I did not have a concussion because I didn't fall to the ground and lose conscious when I got hit. This is obviously wrong. However, I believed him (well because he is a doctor), and a few days later, I decided to go to Track and Field practice. It was outdoor and it was pretty cold that day. After an hour and a half or so, a bad pressure in my head grew so badly that I could no longer sustain it anymore, and I felt like I was going to pass out. I went to Emergency and the doctor diagnosed me with a concussion. He told me to rest, without any cognitive or physical activity for a week. After doing so, I still didn't get any better. I've seen many doctors after that, including physiotherapists. Up to today, I still experience all these symptoms at about the same level (head pressure, dizziness, confusion, pressure in ears, tension in head and neck, slow thinking etc.). Recently, I was like screw it, and began to do exercise again. However, the head pressure continues to aggravate during physical activity. It's the most frustrating thing ever! I'm beginning to believe that what I have is a tension headache and not a concussion. However, I've done some research, and I've been informed that tension headaches do not worsen when doing physical activity. So what do you think is going on?

atti_editor responded:
Hi ollieengee,

Have you seen a doctor specifically about your worsening head pressure when exercising? An examination by a medical professional with this added information may help with a diagnosis. Here is some information about exercise and headaches, which suggests evaluation by a doctor as the best course of action. Please let us know how you are doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center