Skip to content
Botox Injections for chronic migraine/cortisone shots
briska21 posted:
I'm 23 and have been suffering from chronic migraines for 9 years. Currently I'm taking topamax every night, folic acid, prednisone, vicodin, immitrex, valium, and a nausea medicine as needed for the migraines. I've cut out alcohol, any activities that require me to wake up too early, and put off going to college because of these hateful headaches. Recently I had 3 ER visits in 36 hours due to a migraine from hell that would not stop no matter how much morphine, toredol, and other meds they pumped into me. My neurologist gave me the closest appointment he had which is July 9th for the botox injections. My question is should I get my hopes up that this will help me? And is it worth the $1200 every 3 months? If it works I'd pay a million dollars but if there was an easier solution I'd sure love to know it.

PS I've always thought my migraines stemmed from my neck, I've had 4 burst compression fractures in my back that have left me a little more twisted and sore. Anyone try cortisone shots in their neck for headaches??

rosielou responded:
Hi briska,

Sorry to be slow responding, I haven't been on this board for a few months.

Botox has been used for quite awhile now for successful treatment of headaches. My sister has had them and gets very good relief. The first round wasn't complete relief, but after that the neuro had dialed in on the amounts and places for the injections. Her only complaint is the local pain from the injection sites, which is minimal compared to migraines.

I don't use them only because right now I have pretty good control with meds. But I am considering moving over to Botox and stopping the meds, due to my sister's excellent response.

Give it a chance, and at least a few rounds at that. I hope you'll find success with it. Good luck and let us know how you fare.

Rose

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center