Skip to content
Five Second Headaches
lovelittlemermaid posted:
Hello Im new to this but I thought I would give it a try.
I have been suffering from this particular type of headache since Summer 2009. I am now 26 years old. The initial headache starting while i was just relaxed and sitting on my bed and I felt a sudden painful "pop" from the top of my head and i had immediate blurry vision and dizziness. Following that I had a headache from that same spot for about a year. I did nothing because I had no health insurance. I finally saw a neurologist January 2013 and had a CT Scan and MRI done and they found nothing. This past June I felt the same exact thing but this time it radiated from what felt like the very middle of my brain and i went completely blind and it lasted for about 5 seconds top and then it was gone. Now this past Sunday evening I was at dinner and I suddenly felt a jolt from the back rt side of my head and then just felt a little weird and just a little disoriented. After dinner walked with the family and about 45 minutes later I felt very lightheaded and dizzy and i suddenly had a feeling of intense pain and pressure the complete back bottom of my head then an intense awful pain at the top of my head that spread back down my head. During that moment my vision went completely blurry and my left side went slightly weak and I looked over at my husband and I told him I was going to pass out and to call 911. It lasted for about 20 seconds tops! Keep in mind all of my severe headaches only last a few seconds. I sat on the ground and put my head between my legs. My husband checked my face and my arms and my speech to see if I may have had a stroke. Nope! All okay. I had almost a hot poker pain in the same spot at the top of my head after that and some pressure at the bottom back of my head. The paramedics came and rushed me to the ER, they checked my vitals and everything was clear. CT Scan again and nothing. Got a referral to a new Neurologist. took a blood test. I have low iron and ferritin levels which say I'm anemic. Thats all we have found out so far. As of right now i still feel weak even after a few days and am experiences some headaches that feel hot and make my inner ears and throat feel hot. Any insight or help, just anything at all would really help.

Take the Poll

Is anyone else experiencing anything like this?
  • Yes
  • No
vote
View Poll Results

sylviasun responded:
I usually feel the same when it is hot around 5-6 times a day. It feels like a spasm. I read about it at few forums and I found out that it depends on your blood pressure. If you don't want to take any pills try camomile or mint tea.

meaningfulc1952 responded:
Hi lovelittlemermaid,
I have been having tension, migraine headaches for the past 40 years now. My headaches actually rule my life. I have a wonderful neurologist that I see on a regular basis.

The past year or so I have been getting a different type of headache. It is like a shock and the pain is unexpected and very sharp and severe pain. When I saw my neurologist this
past week I asked him about this new type of headache that comes unexpectedly and does not last for very long. He said that it is a real headache condition but there is nothing new that
I can take for it. I was relieved to hear him tell me this.

Do you take any pain meds for your headaches? I take fioricet w/ codeine and summatriptan for the migraine headaches. He also prescribes promethazine for the nausea. These medications really do help me a lot with the tension or migraine headaches. I was getting botox in my neck to relax those muscles, but I have not found it to be very helpful lately.

All of my CT scans show nothing is wrong, but the headaches are the real deal and put my life on hold quite a lot.

I have had in the past TMJ and the oral surgeons convinced me that I needed to have jaw surgery with total jaw joint replacement. I started having these jaw surgeries when it was 1983 and it never helped it only made my jaw hurt much worse. Well, after having 6 jaw surgeries I said "no more" and the last jaw surgery was in 1995. I cannot express just how much you all should not let a oral surgeon start doing surgery on your jaw. My jaw implants were from Vitek, which ended up causing many huge problems with their implants. Finally, they were shut down and the FDA recalled their implants in 1990. The implants have many dangerous materials in them and once implanted in a person they continue to cause severe damage and pain.

My message to anyone that has headaches is see a neurologist and for heaven's sake do not let a dr. operate on
your jaw.

I hope that some of this info is helpful to you.
Good luck,
meaningfulc1952

diane2956 replied to meaningfulc1952's response:
I wanted to comment on the "5 second headaches." I have been getting these occasionally for about 20 years. It is a stabbing, sudden pain in the same place in my head and it lasts for only seconds. After tests, I was told it is caused by calcification of some blood vessels. The doctor didn't seem concerned at all. You are the only other person who I have heard of having these.

meaningfulc1952 replied to diane2956's response:
Hi diane2956,
I am trying to remember exactly how long I have been having these 5 second headaches that you also get. It has been probably several years or more. I just always thought it was caused by a muscle spasm. When I did ask my dr. about it he did say that it is a real headache and unfortunately there is nothing to take to prevent them. At least I finally got an answer because I really did not know what was causing them.

If you have been having these for the past 20 years, how do you handle your shocking 5 second headaches? That is a really long time to have these types of headaches in my opinion. Of course, if your dr. did find the calcification of some blood vessels, then what does he recommend for you to do? It sounds as though maybe something should be done. I just don't know though.

I am sorry that you have been having these and for that long. That is awful. Please let me know what you plan to do if anything for them.

Do you take any meds from your dr. for headaches?
I wish you well and by all means, don't ever think that a headache is just "nothing".

Take care,

meaningfulc1952

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center