Skip to content
Headaches that start suddenly and no prescription meds help
meaningfulc1952 posted:
Hello,
My adult daughter started having severe headaches about 2 years ago and went to the ER. They did the usual tests, but nothing was abnormal. Then she finally started seeing a neurologist and he prescribed the normal meds for tension and migraine headaches. She was taking fioricet and soma, and Relpax for the migraine headaches.

This went on for more than 3 months and she was just not getting any relief and was in so much pain. The medications did not touch her headaches. Finally, her neurologist sent her to a well known neurosurgeon in the Medical Center and he looked at all of her MRI's and other tests and said that he knew what was wrong. On one side of her brain the blood vessel was almost completely flat. It is supposed to be open and full of spinal fluid. Her neurosurgeon picked up the phone while we were all there and scheduled her for a craniotomy for the next week.

My daughter's persistence actually saved her life. If this brain surgery had not been done to correct the vein that was closed down, she would have died.

My message to any of you that have continuing headaches or start to have headaches and take the appropriate meds to treat them and you still have the headaches is run as fast as you can to a neurologist and get the proper tests done and go from there.

Never in a million years did I expect that my daughter's problem was so dangerous and how it might have killed her if left undiagnosed.

Please do not think that having a continual headache is normal. When your dr. prescribes any type of medication for the headache and it does not get better then I suggest that you see a neurosurgeon. I mean I am hoping that you have already seen a neurologist first and then go from there.

We all learned about this very unusual medical problem and I am so relieved that the neurosurgeon was so knowledgeable to figure out what was the problem and operate in order to correct everything.

Of course this was a rare type of condition, but even so, please see a neurologist if you have continual headaches.

meaningfulc1952

Take the Poll

If you have sudden headaches what type of dr. should you see?
  • primary dr. (family dr.)
  • neurologist
  • internal medicine
vote
View Poll Results

youllfeelbetter responded:
I would add Chiropractor to the list. Mine has done wonders in curing my headaches .

meaningfulc1952 replied to youllfeelbetter's response:
Hello to youllfeelbetter,

I am sorry, but I do not agree with you that a chiropractor can help with headaches that will not go away.
I have suffered for about 40 years now with constant headaches. Some are tension, and some are migraine headaches. Many years ago I did see different chiropractors to treat me. Instead of helping me they only made my neck pain worse and even grabbed me by the jaw to make an adjustment and it really messed me up.

I have severe TMJ and have had many jaw surgeries. These drs. knew that and they really screwed me up. I would never go back to one.

Maybe, for those people that have headaches and seeing a chiropractor helps them, I just can't speak for them.

We all have individual pain problems and not all one thing works for all of us. If you get relief from seeing a chiropractor, then keep on doing what helps you.

When I was writing about my daughter's situation it was very serious. She could have died if the neurosurgeon did not figure out what was really wrong. That is why I suggest that
anyone that has severe/chronic headaches that do not respond to medications that they see a neurologist and see what they have to say.

All of this pain is an individual thing. No one person is alike. What works for one, does not always work for the other. Don't you agree with that?

I know people that have awful pain and choose to not take anything for their own pain. In my opinion I think that is just
down right stupid. There are so many medications available to treat headaches and also pain in other parts of our bodies that it is a shame that a person would not want to get some type of pain relief.

You sure do not have to agree with me. That's just how I feel about all of this. I have lived with chronic pain for so long that the medications that I do take just take the edge off. My pain mgt. dr. will not increase my pain meds either.
I am just grateful to have meds that do help some. I do not expect a miracle in my own case. To each there own or something like that.

Meaningfulc1952

rosielou replied to youllfeelbetter's response:
Please be careful with chiropractors! They have caused me damage with their adjustments, they do not have enough knowledge of the neurological system to treat migraine!

Plus, please remove the link to your site from your reply. It is against WebMD rules. We are open to hearing your explanations of good chiropractic, but don't like sneaky stuff like that.

Thanks. Rose

Helpful Tips

Migraines
laying down in a dark room always helps me. More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center