Skip to content
Cystic Migraines
blhgc27 posted:
No, I'm not talking Pineal Cysts or anything of the like. I'm talking about Acne Cysts.

I'm a 22-year-old female who has been getting moderate migraines since I was about 12, and have had mild Acne throughout adolescence. More often than not, though, my Acne is Cystic, but it usually occurs on my nose, above my mouth, or on my chin. Every once in a while, I'll get a big cyst on my forehead, and, for anyone who's had them, they know how painful they can be. Within the past few months, I've noticed something--not only are they only occuring on my forehead (in the same places, no less), but it seems like they're causing headaches (which then develop into migraines).

My migraines usually occur on the right side of my head. The pain starts at my neck and travels up and over my crown into my forehead. It is very rare that the pain is centralized on the left side of my head. Maybe once every two years or so. But then this cycle of forehead cysts began (which seemed to switch sides, back and forth like an evil game of Pong). I was getting migraines on both sides of my head (where the zit happened to be), and the worst pain would be focused there. With or without the headache, I can feel the pressure of the cyst on my nerves. And even if it isn't actually *causing* my migraines and is just compounding on them, it isn't helping.

It makes me wonder if other people experience this, or if I am the only one. And I have to wonder if the Cysts are causing migraines or not.

sophiespike responded:
Hi,

Are you having any problems with your menstrual periods? Are they regular? Because at your age, this almost sounds like polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) in which your hormones are typically out of balance. Large cystic acne lesions are one of the visual symptoms, while the hormonal imbalance could be the culprit causing the migraines. I would check with my gynecologist to rule out the PCOS and then probably a neurologist if need be.

Best wishes to you.

Sophie

lisahauer09 responded:
Also have you looked into the fact that some of your migs start in your neck? Have you told your dr about that, because those types of migraines are treatable.

Just for the record, I have a sister that has adult cystic acne and has had it since she was about 12. I had medium acne as a teenager, which went away when I got to about 22, but hers never did go away and she has many scars. The acne goes down all the way to her elbows,down her chest and on her back. Don't know if she ever got headaches from her cysts, but I will ask her next time I see her and see what she says and get back to you.

Hopefully you will get some relief soon.

stinkpink84 responded:
Hello I a 28 female. i have pcos and was thinking it sounds like you are suffering from it also. I've been having migraines since i was 8. I've only recently been looking into my cystic acne. I also get migraines on the right side. usually on my forehead, or around my eye brow. I am not on the meds I should be for my pcos but i am going to be going here soon to the doctor. I am praying it will stop not only the cysts but the migraines as well. good luck to you.

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center