Skip to content
Migranes linked with Ulcers
amandabeth071309 posted:
We are desperate!!

My older brother (only 28) has been a migraine suffer for years, literally as long as I can remember. He and his wife have tried everything from food triggers, to seeing an allergist, a neurologist, to having their house checked for mold, mildew, etc.

in 2004 he was hospitalized with Ulcers in his tummy, though there was no thought to connect the two then, he recently, just last week was again hospitalized after having a bloody stool. This time he had a Duodenal Ulcer in the upper part of his small intestine. He stayed in hospital for 5 days in hopes that the doctors would link the two (migraines and ulcers) together. He tested negative for H Pylori which is a bacteria that is produced by a Duodenal Ulcer, which has been shown to be a trigger for migraines.

If anyone out there has been in a similar situation or know of anyone that has-please send any advice or treatment you have received. We are looking at anything at this point. Again he is only 28, just got married in August, he and his wife deserve to live a migrane free life.

Thanks so much, as we truly appreciate your suggestions.

Amanda

Migrainer responded:
Hi Amanda,
I know this post is several months old, but I was wondering if your brother ever found out if there was a corrolation between his ulcer and his migraines. I think it is possible, as I have had ulcer symptoms for years, and notice that if my belly gets too empty, I get a migraine rather quickly, and if I eat anything acidy I get one as well. I also noticed that if I drink a whole glass of milk, it soothes my belly *and* relieves my migraine at the same time.

I am planning on getting checked for ulcers as well.

Let me know if you found your answer yet.

Thanks!

carpetcrawler5 replied to Migrainer's response:
I have actually heard that drinking milk is bad for your stomach if you have a sensitive one, because of the milk sugars being hard to digest. I know every time I drink milk I get severe stomach pain, because I have chronic gastritis.

firefli29 responded:
I'm having a similar issue... though my ulcers haven't been as extreme as your brother's sound. I haven't discussed this with a doctor, but everything I'm reading about ulcers says that nsaids (a type of pain killers) can be a contributing factor. I take nsaids for migraines regularly, since excederin seems to be the only thing that can squash my migraines, unfortunately, i think prolonged use may be causing my ulcers, but I'd rather deal with the ulcers than the migraines. Perhaps if your brother is taking nsaids to treat his migraines, he could talk to his doctor about an alternate treatment for his headaches?

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center