Skip to content
Chronic headache/pressure/ear fluid
sbhinson posted:
I have been dealing with various symptoms since September, so for about five months, and now the pain and pressure in my head is constant. It's driving me insane. My first symptoms involved a clogged ear, which was stopped up for a week or two. I saw a nurse practitioner at my college campus' health center, and she prescribed me Amoxicillin and told me it was probably just the beginnings of an ear infection. Sporadic ear pain and pressure continued, and I occasionally experienced short bursts of sharper pain in my throat. I took a second round of stronger antibiotics. Headaches soon developed and became constant, 24/7. They started out as pains in different areas around my head - the front, the back, the sides - and eventually became a dull all-over ache and pressure. It feels like someone is constantly squeezing my head between their hands, and I sometimes feel pressure in the top area of my jaw too. I saw another doctor, who said I had fluid in my ears/eustachian tube dysfunction and prescribed me with Naproxen for the pain (it helped at first, but does not seem to do much anymore) along with a steroid nasal spray and told me to take Mucinex D. The Muxinec helped briefly, but now it doesn't do much, either. I still take it every day and use the nasal spray and take Naproxen, and now I am on another antibiotic, Ciprofloxacin, incase this is stemming from ear piercings I had done in September (a bit after my first ear symptoms occurred) because they never healed properly. Took the jewelry out, and one seems to be infected, so I'm keeping it clean and hoping the antibiotics clear it up. I don't know what is causing fluid to build in both my ears and the constant head pain and pressure. Sometimes I also have tingling sensations on my scalp. I can feel the fluid and have heard ringing/humming. Nothing helps. Please give me any advice or thoughts... I'm 19, female, average weight, don't smoke (though I was smoking when I first experienced a clogged ear; not sure if there's any correlation, but I haven't smoked since then and never smoked more than one cigarette every couple of weeks before that), no previous health issues. Please, please help. The pain is becoming emotionally draining and making me miserable.

whitebear4 responded:
Your problem is very complicated. Hopefully you have a good dr. What I have heard is when people get ear and/or sinus problems it is very difficult to treat. Even when you have surgery to clear the sinuses out, they can still be inflammed for months. Also you may be having tinitis, which is constant ringing in your ears. Do you get dizzy?

Helpful Tips

A good read for overall migraine conditions
http://www.migrainetrust.org/factsheet-migraine-triggers-10505 More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center