Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Tension Headache, Dizziness and Popping in my Head...Help!
An_205306 posted:
About a 3-4 weeks ago I was at work when all of the sudden I had this popping feeling in my head (on the top) and then it felt like a fizzle after that, like when you open a bottle of soda. It was very sudden, painful and really scared me. Since then I have felt the fizz feeling a few times and have had tension headaches daily that are on and off most of the day and seem to be getting worse with time. I also have short periods of dizziness, especially when I turn my head from side to side. I don't recall having a cold or stuffy nose at any point prior to or during this whole thing with my head. Also, my doctor has had me try naproxin (an anti-inflammatory) to relieve any swelling in my sinuses, but it didn't provide much, if any, relief over the past week that I tried it. I've been taking Claritin-D and a stong dose of tylonel for the past day with still no relief. My doctor has ordered a CT scan of my head for next week if the Claritin doesn't help things. I'm very concerned about having a CT, since I've had 1 or 2 of them in the past 10 years and don't want to be exposed to the radiation if I don't need to. Does this sound serious enough that I should have the scan? If this was just a sinus infection, wouldn't some of the medication that I've tried be helping?

whitebear4 responded:
The help it would give your dr by getting the scan would outweigh the risks of the CT, and the amount is very small.

It sort of sounds like you might be getting cluster headaches. The symptoms are pain behind the eye and a stuffy nose.However, if you end up having the diagnosis of sinus headaches, it's difficult to treat, and even after sinus surgery it can take even 6 months sometimes for the swelling and inflammation to reside.

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
I hope you allowed your MD to have get a scan of some sort. The amount of radiation from a CT is minimal (especially as you have had only 1 or 2 of them in the past). The symptoms you describe could be due to a more serious problem.

If you have not had the CT scan, you could talk with your MD about an MRI scan--this scan uses magnets, and no xrays.

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center