Skip to content
Msg Sensativity
melhallblade34 posted:
So here is the first update on my no msg, no additives diet. I have lost about 5 pounds. I have had four migraines in ten days (the ten days prior to starting the diet I had five.), They were much less intense (other then the caffine-withdrawl induced one last tuesday), and meds have seemed to work more effectively then in the past.So I think I must be more sensitive to msg then I thought, I also have more engery, and feel better in general. I will continue the "trial" diet till this weekend, then start adding more things in. I never thought I would miss chocolate so much! I think my headaches will continue to get better everyday.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
This is very interesting! Thanks for keeping us updated on how it's going for you. :-)

whitebear4 responded:
Hi melhallblade34, with the chocolate or any other containing caffeine you would be able to use it to stop a headache. Then you don't consume any caffeine if you DON'T have a mig because it will trigger one. So what you would do then is wait until you're starting to get a headache and then get about one bite of the chocolate bar, or a couple of sips of coffee.

melhallblade34 replied to whitebear4's response:
you should not have chocolate if you are sensitive to soy letchin, which is an emolsafier added to almost all chocolate on the market.

melhallblade34 replied to melhallblade34's response:
Also, I tried to have coffee since doing thos diet and it gave me a migrine. Coffee and caffine can sometimes help to stop migraines and sometimes cause them, in sensative people.

red_rorebmun replied to melhallblade34's response:
Have you tried traditional Chinese Acupuncture therapy? It might not work for you if needles give you the creep. How about traditional Chinese herbal tea? The idea is to remove any disharmony of the liver system and improve the circulation of energy in your body. It really did wonder for my girlfriend. Give it a shot.

melhallblade34 replied to red_rorebmun's response:
I have been doing so well with the diet change I will tick with it for now, but thanks for the info. I have a freind who does chinese meds for some healt hissues and they do work quite well for her.

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center