Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
pleas help
omgpleasehelp posted:
am 32 yr old female and have had constant headache for 33 days mri,mra,ct scan,lumbar puncture all normal was hospitalized for 4 days only thing they found was a level 1 arnold chiari malformation tried zomig, treximet, midrin, furioct, morphine, no help it feels like someone is squeeezing my brain any suggestions?

whitebear4 responded:
Does your dr mean the malformation doesn't cause your headaches? How large is it?

You should see a neuro and get further headache treatment. If it's not a migraine, that would explain why the migraine meds didn't work. Where is the pain ?

omgpleasehelp replied to whitebear4's response:
yes have seen 3 neuros they said it is atypical migraine the pain is all of my skull feels like i have a rubberband around my head gets worse when i sit or stand from layin flat

whitebear4 replied to omgpleasehelp's response:
Try putting an ice wrap around your head.

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
Chiari Malformation can be a cause for headache. This is difficult to diagnose because it depends on the flow of CSF around the chiari malformation at the base of the brain.

There is a special MRI scan study called CSF flow study which can tell of this is contributing to the headache

omgpleasehelp replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
can it cause headaches even though it is only level 1? at first with ct scan they thought it was my brain stem was swollen, and with mri and mra they found chiari

penguie replied to omgpleasehelp's response:
it probably could cause headaches depending upon the flow as the doctor said. If where you live is anything like where I work in MRI, CSF flow studies must be specifically requested for us to run them. Our routine for migraines is a regular brain scan with MRA. We only do the flow studies when specifically asked and usually it is only neurologists who order it

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center