Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Re Sodas for Migraines
Moxie1956 posted:
Hi Everyone~~I think I'm a new mbr here; don't recall signing in under "migraines" before. Regardless, I wanted to share my experience re sodas and migraines. If the headache is just beginning to roll in, perhaps a soda (my pref, diet mountain dew) can prevent or at least diminish the effects and duration. If I wait much longer after the onset, no soda will help, not then, not later.
Re: mouthwash. I have been prone to severe sinus infections over 40 decades. For a year now, I've been religious about gargling with an antiseptic mouthwash and I have had a dramatic reduction in infections. My allergies still kick up something fierce, but sinus infections seem to be a thing of the past---thank goodness! Recently, I had to go 2wks before being able to purchase mouthwash, and during the same period of time, my husband acquired a mild infection lasting about 3wks. Guess what? I got a sinus infection! Was it coincidence? Is it bc I wasn't gargling for 2wks, or is it bc my husband passed it on to me? I don't know. But, I am again gargling, and I've no longer an infection. Moral of the story: I will continue this maintenance of gargling with an antiseptic mounthwash daily!

whitebear4 responded:
For me sodas make my throat hot and give me headaches. Were you using soda with caffeine?

Moxie1956 replied to whitebear4's response:
Yes, diet mountain dew has caffeine. Caffeine is a funny thing, sometimes it's exactly what is effective and other times it can make things worse. There are otc and prescription drugs that contain caffeine, e.g. Excedrin Extra Strength and Fioricet. Excedrin ES just doesn't work for me anymore. If I feel the slightest throb or pain and take Fioricet, it usually prevents a full blown migraine.

I just recovered from a 5 days migraine; none of my prescriptive drugs (I have 3) were effective. It's just a guessing game sometimes.

If I was reacting to sodas the way you are, I'd stop drinking the sodas!

Wishing you painfree days~~moxie1956

penguie replied to Moxie1956's response:
just a quick note: mountain dew in canada is caffeine free, boohoo!

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center