Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
headaches relieved by starch
kidsfirst posted:
I have suffered from cycle and food triggered migraines for as long as I can remember. However, there are occasions when a migraine starts while I am at work for reasones I am unsure of. I do take prescription meds at the onset usually, however, since I am a teacher, there are times when I am unable to take them because I am unable to lie down until the side effects subside. Whenever I get a migraine I WANT salt/starch...mash potatoes, potatoe chips, or french fries. The saltier the better. A combination of potatoes and meclizine and I am feeling better faster even if I was unable to take my migraine meds. The pain decreases and the nausea goes away. Is this all in my head so to speak or is there some reason why the starch and/or sodium would make me feel better? Does this form relief point to some type of particular migraine or other cause?

whitebear4 responded:
I have read somewhere that when a women has cravings for something, her body is lacking that chemical or mineral in her body.

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
Migraines can actually cause the cravings that you have (in the same way migraines can cause spots in the vision or tingling in the face). I have talked with other patients who have cravings during their headache, and not at other times.

The relief from eating something like meclizine and potato chips could be from the "neuropeptids" that your GI system releases when you eat (this is why many people feel better after eating, and leads to over eating in depression in some people).

Meclizine is a medication that has a lot of effects, including valium like relaxation effects and anti-nausea effects. Most medications that improve nausea will also help headaches.

So I don't think you are imaging this, but if you have frequent headaches you could gain weight from eating to make your headache better.

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center