Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
finally but now what
penguie posted:
So I am finally going to be in one area long enough that my doctor has put in a neurology referral. Been in so many different cities these past 10yrs that getting to the root cause and really developing a good plan has been impossible. But now I am thinking: now what?

What really should I expect a neurologist to be able to do? I have had these for so long that I am certain if it were an aneurysm or tumor I would likely be dead or close to it. Si is there really anything they can do ir am I just to expect to live with it and this appointment will really just be a formality?

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
Very good question!-
You should expect your neurologist to talk with you about your headache, and ask questions to learn how long you have had the problem, how often, what makes it better, what makes it worse, and what you take for it. A neurologist is usually interested in what else happens with the headache (like nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light, vision changes, etc).

If you have not been treated for headache in the past, there are a reasonable number of medications for headache---both prevention medications (decrease the number of headaches per week) and acute therapy (make a headache stop).

On average any one medication works for 60-70% of people who take it. If the first one doesn't work, then we usually try the 2nd or third.

Not all neurologists like to treat headache. If your neurologist doesn't offer much in the way of treatment, look for a neurologist that likes to treat headaches (or specializes in headaches).

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center