Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Migraine with right arm tremor
clipforyou posted:
My 16 year old daughter started with a migraine 5 days ago which was not totally unusual for her. However, what was strange was the right arm tremor that started at the same time and continues until now along with the headache and some lightheadedness. She was seen in the ER 4 days ago. They ran blood work and a CT Scan and everything came back normal. They suggested that we follow up with a Neurologist. I have been trying to get her in with someone and everyone is telling me 2-3 weeks before she can be seen. She is truly suffering and I don't know what else to do. Could the arm tremor be a sign of something more serious? Are the two even connected? I have never experienced frustration like this before. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am going out of my mind!

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
If the CT scan is normal, its much less likely that there is a serious cause for this. Because there are some very rare problems that could do this, your neurologist may order an MRI scan of the brain. If you have a pediatrician that your daughter see's, you may want to check in with them. They could talk with the neurologists office to get you a sooner appointment.

Skiff responded:
I see this a fairly old post but I am in the same situation and am desperate to get help for my 14 yr old daughter. She has had a severe headache, unusual for her, and arm tremors (beginning with the right arm) for 2 plus weeks. The arm tremors for more than three weeks. At a visit to our dr about them I had her get a flu shot, within 6 hrs she had a raging headache that is still going on. She had an MRI on Monday and we are awaiting results as well as an appt with the neurologist. Any info would be appreciated. I am VERY worried.

HaleyThomas responded:
I realize this post is somewhat dated, but I am now 18 years old and have been having the same symptoms along with a few more since I was 15. I have yet to find a doctor that can diagnose me with certainty. There has been talk of basilar migraines (spelling may be incorrect). Yu may want to ask your doctor if that is a possible diagnosis.

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 104 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center