Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
constant head pain on right temple for a week now
chadbo_2001 posted:
For a week now, I have had a constant dull pain on my right temple. I looked at myself in the mirror and I can see my head is a little swollen on that side. Its not like a normal headache, its more like a muscle ache. I have tried motrin, excedrin, tylenol, neurontin, and imitrex(not at the same time of course) and nothing so far has helped. Could I have torn or sprained a muscle on my head? And/Or, what can I possibly try or take to ease this pain?

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
There is a muscle in your temple that could be inflamed. There are a couple of headache problems including migraine that can cause similar pain. Clenching your teeth or bruxism can sometimes cause this as well.

If over the counter medications are not helping, talk to your doctor and have them look at the swollen area. Something as simple as a prescription strength anti-inflammatory may help.

chadbo_2001 replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
Thanks for the advice. I just called and scheduled an appt with my doctor. I have tried prescription motrin, (800mg). Even that hasn't helped. All it did was upset my digestive system.

shutterfly replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
I'm having sudden severe sharp pains mostly in my right temple.Also an almost constant headache. Is that also a sign of a migrane?

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 65 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center