Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Q about occipital nerve stimulation
penguie posted:
Hi,

I saw you mention this is another posting and just wondered if you knew anything more about it. I have tried to find some information though it seems minimal. My concern is the MRI compatibility of the device to know if it would ever be an option for me since that is my field of work. Sadly I cannot find information about such a device in our safety books although all other deep brain stimulators and such are a contradiction so I am sort of figuring these are as well...Do you have any idea on this issue?

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
The occipital nerve stimulators are a pacemaker like device that is wired to the occipital nerves on the back of the head (not in the brain, just under the skin). The pacemaker like device is similar to the device used for spinal cord stimulation.

You cannot go into an MRI scanner with this device in place, but I don't know how close you can get to them.

Some anesthesia pain management physicians do this surgery (along with spinal cord stimulators surgery). There are 2 companies that make similar devices, and the anesthesia pain clinics that do the surgery can put you in touch with one of the representatives from the company, who would be able to answer your questions.

penguie replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
thanks for the information. I guess this will never be an option I can explore unless I switch professions since we do not like to even let a person with a pacemaker or similar device into the magnet room let alone the magnet proper

carpetcrawler5 replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
Is this device coming out soon? I looked it up and it's still in the trial stages.

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
The device is on the market, there are patients with these implanted for headache "off label" which makes it hard to get insurance authorization.

The clinic trial was completed the end of last year, we are waiting for the data analysis right now. I ask the company rep about this almost every week (when I see him).

Our clinic was one of the sites in the trial, and I had several patients (about 10) who participated in the trial.

We are hoping that the trial will result in an FDA indication for this treatment of chronic daily headaches

Helpful Tips

Migranes
I have found that taking 2 excedrine migrane and two benedryl helps with most of mine better that perscription pain pills More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center