Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Migraines every week - what should I do?
hammerofdawn posted:
I've had migraines maybe once every month or two for the past 6 or 7 years, but since March I have had one pretty much every week. They are lasting 2-4 days.

I've been prescribed treximet, imitrex, maxalt, and zomig. The zomig works maybe 50-60% of the time, the others did not really help.

I was put on nadolol in the past to try to reduce them but this did not help. Now I am taking amitriptyline nightly also to try and reduce them, but this also is not helping.

OTC painkillers do not help at all, codeine makes me throw up. I was given an Rx for Meprozine a while ago and that helped some but now it is unavailable. I've also had acupuncture. An MRI taken showed nothing abnormal.

Does anyone have any ideas that might help? I'll begin my teaching career this autumn and obviously cannot miss work every week because of this. They are so horrible I can't move or eat. The doctors/neurologists I've seen seem to be stuck as much as I am.

Thank you so much.

melhallblade34 responded:
I am sorry that you have been in so much pain. How long have you been on the amitrypline? it can take 4-6 weeks to kick in. Have you tried a high dose nsad, like tordal, or injections? I have found a food journal to be really helpful in figuring out what is causing migrines. Good luck,

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
Sounds like you have only tried 2 prevention medications. You might want to print out the list of prevention medications (under Tips to the right of the posts) and take it too your doctor. Talk with him/her about trying something else from the list.

Most of the prevention medications are working after 6-8 weeks, so you don't need to try them for 6 months before switching.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
How high of a dose of the Amitriptyline are you on? It can take around 150 mgs for some people. I think that's the highest dose you can go on it tho.

I looked up Meprozine and it's a weak form of codiene. So it's not something you should take often.

In the meantime, drink coffee or eat dark chocolate right when the pain hits, and it may stop some of your headaches. But give the preventatives a chance to work if they're going to, and if your current neuro can't help you there, I would consider getting a new one.

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center