Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
memory loss/dropping things
mmthlvr posted:
It's Tammy again or as Dave knows me, Weirdo. Does anyone have days when you constantly drop things, i literally mean they just fall out of your hand? This has been going on for the last few days & it's so bad my husband doesn't want me carring anything breakable. And memory loss, you've heard the saying "if my head wasn't connected" I can't remember anything & it's afecting my job. Any ideas please : :crying: Tammy
FirstPrevious12NextLast

AL0728 responded:
I definitely have memory problems, and I have days when I drop everything I touch, lol. I have dropped drinks, keys, I throw pens and pencils all over the place, lol. It's like I don't realize my grip is gone until things are on the floor. It is annoying sometimes. AL

mmthlvr responded:
I am so happy to hear I'm not the only one who throws pens. I've decided when I'm talking it's best I don't have objects in my hand, I might hurt someone :ooh: And yeah, I don't even realize i'm losing my grip, it's just gone. :eyeroll: Thanks Al Tammy

cthv1 responded:
I can't remember what I was about to say...oh yeah to both! I have noticed that my grip just goes. No warning, just broken glass, keys, gallon of milk (the dog likes it when I am by the fridge and lose my grip). My left side is getting progressivly weaker. What really sux is that I am left handed! So there goes the pen, phone, and half the letters on the keyboard. My memory has started to become effected, especially my short-term. I have to write down any nuimbers or bits of info. I can read it and turn around and it is gone! That makes me so mad! I was in a "big-wig" meeting and could not remember the name of the "big-wig" I was supposed to introduce. How freaking embarassing! I have no idea what I am giong to do about going back to the school in the fall, climbing the ladder, or dialing a phone number for Pete's sake! this is the one part of the MonSter I could live without! Christine

bignona responded:
Mine is my right side, so bad my DD makes me use plastic plates, cups, glasses, ect when I'm alone. I kinda understand so I don't get hurt. I live w/ my DD & family so they lookout for my safety. God Bless Nona Judy

blythespirit3 responded:
:smile: :smile: Hi Tammy ! All that I can say is Welcome to the club ! :chagrin: :chagrin: You should have been with me when our son was helping me to clean the kitchen one night. I was just grabbing the bottle of dish soap when, Kathump ! My hand just let it go and drop to the floor. It's a good thing that I do not trust myself to far anymore.....I had the lid closed ! :goofy: :goofy: :goofy: My biggest problem that has come up is my right hand can not hold my tooth brush to brush my teeth now. The last two fingers will cramp up and I can not use my hand to brush with :pbpt: :pbpt: :pbpt: Thank God For Listerine !!!!!!!! :sillygrin: :sillygrin: :sillygrin: :sillygrin: :sillygrin: Just Kidding !!!! I am going to have to find a bigger handled tooth brush now. Here is the worst I have experienced.........I was not able to lift a 2 cup container with water in it and a bowl on the top. I tried 3 times and let a little more water out each time. I finally said "---- it" and dumped it all and transfered it a piece at a time. Ohhh the Good Ol' Days ! :sheepish: :sheepish: :sheepish: As far a memory goes ? WHAT MEMORY ? :goofy: :goofy: :ooh: :ooh: That must have been a really embarrassing situation with The Big Cheese at work. I might have had a little moment of almost crying about that one later by myself. :sealed: :sealed: God Bless BlytheSpirit :cool: :cool:

WolfClaw20 responded:
Hi Tammy I don't drop stuff very often, but my memory is.... what were we talking about? Oh ya, my short term memory is gone. My wife has been yelling at me for a couple of years because I forget stuff so easily. When we found out about the MS three weeks ago one of the first things I said to her was "See, I'm not ignoring you, I really can't remember!" She does stuff to help jog my memory. She writes a calendar of important dates on the bathtub wall in our kid?s bathroom. She puts it on with those water crayons. I get a reminder every day when I give the kids a bath about what is coming up. She has one on the fridge in the kitchen too to glance at while I am cleaning up after dinner. I write stuff down at work and I record meeting onto my computer to play back later. I use the recording and notes to help me remember what I need. I keep track of projects on a big dry erase board in my office color coded by employee and priority. I seam to drop stuff when I bend over. I broke a bowl a couple of weeks ago when unloading the dishwasher. Just fell right out my hand.... scared the $%!& out of me! :eek: I hope it gets better for you or you find new ways to cope. If you need to write down a name on your hand and give it a quick glance before your meeting. I make seating charts of where folks are sitting in a meeting and jot down their name when they are introduced. Take care, and let us know what you do to help. James

mmthlvr responded:
Another thanks to all of you out there :grin: My husband & son make sure I have everything before I leave the house in the morning now, otherwise they have to bring it to me :eyeroll: . To all you women out there I think we need lager brushes for our eyeshadow/makeup. I've lost more than my share down the drain that my husband finally put a sceen over the opening. :goofy: Tammy

Linlovesdogs responded:
Oh yes, even though I'm not diagnosed yet. It's really fun when I drop things in front of patients like juice and stuff...even got barium all over a radiologist once (I'm a speech pathologist). The memory thing has been worse lately...even though I work with cognition and know what to do, sometimes those do nothing...then other days memory is ok. I have to depend more on memory aides though, like Outlook to remind me of appts and things like that. Just a few minutes ago I couldn't remember my PIN to get into my bank account online...which I've had for years. UGH....I just try to destress, as stress always impedes the memory. haven't dropped too many things lately...knock on wood.

tammymc5 responded:
Is there any meds out there to help with the memory thing??? I am in the same boat here...I can not afford to stop work, but its really making my job hard, and writing little reminders is not a option here...I would spend all days writing reminders and not working.... tammymc5 :frown:

StarTraveler1957 responded:
I had to quit using a bar of soap while showering....it spent more time circling the drain than soaping me up! :angry: I use a small squeeze bottle of soap now. RE: memory! OMG! I'm a psychotherapist and couldn't remember who my clients were, much less what our previous session was about. Not pretty. I had to quit my job and apply for disability. THEN came the day I was driving and forgot what the brake pedal and gas pedal were for in downtown traffic. And I kept getting hopelessly lost. Then I, um, rear-ended a PARKED car and totalled my car out. My driving days are done. I have a huge sense of loss of independence in addition to having no career. Acceptance is the key. Tough lessons. :confused:

justducky65 responded:
Wow Mitch Witch Star Traveler. I need a new car, too bad it wasnt mine !! I hope you didnt get hurt ??? I dont have any brain lesions so I dont have alot of trouble up stairs but if I get overheated I notice some. Just sucks uh... A car is a BIG thing to have to give up for sure. I guess you just have to get use to it and go with the flow like you said. WOW well I use to LOVE to drive and dont care to do it anymore for sure but I do make it to work and back every day . When the day comes I cant I will just have to say "Oh well, it was fun while it lasted !!" remind me of that will ya !!!! hugs Debi :eek:

Kacucha responded:
Hi, Tammy Take heart! I have had RRMS for 22 years and one thing I've learned is that symptoms come and symptoms GO! I, too, have times of constantly dropping things. It can be comical (at home or with family) and embarrassing (when trying to pay at a register). I do get frustrated by it. Sometimes I tell the cashier that there is a reason for it- I have MS. Usually, though, they seem not to know what I'm talking about. It helps if I concentrate on my grip while carrying something. I also have periods when my memory is awful. I have forgotten Dr. appts and such. Word finding seems much harder, too. Like others who have replied, I have forgotten things that had been second nature- like my own phone number or frequently used passwords. (I have those written down). Most embarrassing, is when I am in conversation with someone who has previously told me something rather important and I completely forget until late in the conversation when it seems vaguely familiar. As a person who has always been proud of my intelligence, it really knocks me down and makes me feel stupid. (I believe everything happens for a reason; i.e., I shouldn't be prideful about anything?). Anyway, as I said, "Take heart!". These problems have always abated for me.

Synda responded:
I was only diagnosed 1 1/2 yrs ago and I am finding I drop things a lot. I am also having memory loss. Not nearly as bad as it was during my last severe relapse but my job requires my smart brain and it seems to be gone. I am making errors at work and that is not me. Very stressed and scared. Synda

smb77 responded:
Hello everyone im new to this forum and i was reading tammys comments and i understand where you're coming from. I haven't been diagnosed yet I'm playin the waiting game with my neurologist :eek: Ive been dropping things for a long time now can't remember when it started but its getting worst my fiancee thinks i throw ting at him all the time but it's not the case i can't seem to hold anything in my hands for no longer than a few seconds. I had a bad experience with shaving in the shower a few months ago it was pretty bad :sad: needless to say i probably neede stitches but didn't go to the hospital. My memory on the other hand isn't too shabby either boy i tell you some days are okay but others make me feel like i'm imagining that these things are happening to me and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I do have the brain lesin on the right side. But on the flip side of it all i'm still alive and i have a very healthy 11 yr old daughter. I THANK GOD EVERYDAY WHEN I WAKE UP AND IF I FORGET I STILL THANK HIM IN ADVANCE. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

certified nursing assistant (CNA)
I am a care giver who have had vast experience with MS patient and i do travel with my client/s. If some one out there who is looking for a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.