Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dizzy spells
tulipgal posted:
Hi everyone. I haven't read any posts on dizziness symptoms. This is a huge problem for me and I sometimes feel like I'm going to fall down. Can anyone else relate? Thanks, Tulip

justducky65 responded:
There has been much talk in the past about dizziness. Some on here cant bend forward without holding onto something or they tumble down on their heads. I had some trouble with dizziness ( very mild) and thought it was inner ear but looking back now it was probably the MS. I bought some meclazine ( spelling?) It was an over the counter med that helps me for dizziness or car sickness. ( its a whole bottle that is cheaper than the car sick pills which I cant NOT rmember the name of now. ddddd dramamine thats it. but those are more expensive for only a few. ) The meclazine comes in a bottle and if its extra bad I can take several. others may post some prescription drugs they use. I am ms cheapskate and always look for a bargain. ha ha I would just make sure you dnt have inner ear infection from sinus or allergies and if not than I am sure its from the MS. I am thinking that Bly had alot of trouble last year with it to the point of being sick from it?? get that book "the A to Z of multiple sclerosis" it has lots of definitions and symptoms and medicine information. Good Book No I didnt write it so I am not promoting it... I have just found it very helpful ! Debi :grin:

AL0728 responded:
Hi Tulip, It's a very common Sx of MS. It is called vertigo. I have had a few bouts with it, but it goes away after a week or two. I get dizzy if I turn my head too fast all the time, that never seems to go away. It is not fun, I hope you don't suffer with it for long. AL

Gramzokathy responded:
Hi Tulip, nice to meet you. Dizzy Dame here. I am dizzy all the time every day. some days worse than others and I stay in bed. Cant bend over or I keep going...very annoying and limiting. I use meclazine too....cause its cheap, cheap, cheaper than rx meds. I can adjust how many pills I need. Sometimes I take several and just sleep it off. Its like being really drunk but I missed the party.I dont think mine will ever go away. More fun and games with MS. Hope yours doesnt hang around and you start to feel better soon.

tulipgal responded:
I am relieved to not be alone with this symptom. I feel dizziness every day and sometimes extreme vertigo. I sometimes don't even trust going on a walk around my neighborhood for fear that I will fall down. Yikes! Thanks for sharing your experiences. I don't know what I'd do without this group.

CarolineV9T6R9 responded:
Hi Tulip, OH YAH!!!! Dizziness was my first experience with this MonSter!! I have had extreme dizziness and vertigo for years!!! They never could figure out what it was and wrote it off as benign (sp) positional vertigo. YAH...it was MS people!! Still have it...and at night especailly while washing my face or brushing my teeth...I have to keep my eyes open or I'll have this HUGE spinning sensation that will last for about 40 seconds...seems to be getting longer too. I can not put my head down or to the side fast or I'll have this extreme dizziness too. Do you get symptoms like those? I also feel that I can not walk a straight line...and keep feel like I'm being pulled to the right usually. Oh and in bed sometimes for no reason I'll just have an episode of spinning or falling. My hubby is very supportive...but he tries to laugh with me and keep me positive...and says "C'mon honey...enjoy the ride...some people pay to feel like that"!! HahaHa :sillygrin: Hugs to you Tulip. I have to go pick up my kiddies soon. My heart is still being dumb...but I feel a bit more rested. I'm not drinking caffeine today!! Caroline :lightsmile:

hippygrl responded:
Hi Tulip!! Yup, that is how I was dx w/ MS. That's also the reason I had to quit working 1 1/2 yrs ago. Oh and the reason I use a cane outside of my home. :eyeroll: :pbpt: :goofy: Do you get the bed spins, those are "fun". I also quit driving b/c I would never drive drunk and that's how I feel when I get behind the wheel. The docs have tried meclizine (sp), dramamine, lorazapam, diazapam & valuim on me, nothing has worked. Most of those meds made me feel even worse. I've been to pt and an ENT. The PT worked for a while a couple yrs back, but not any more. Now I just have to be real careful going up and down steps, getting out of the shower and other daily things. :confused: :chagrin: :frown: Jennifer :smile:

tulipgal responded:
Hi Hippygirl (I'm a hippy chick too!). That's exactly how to describe it, feeling drunk. Nail on the head! I really need to get a cane, maybe one with a tye-dye handle, hee-hee. It's especially bad when I have to carry items. Throws me off balance even more. I've had the serious bed-spins too and it's scary. Enjoy the ride? Take care. Tulip

hippygrl responded:
My cane has peace symbols, big flowers and smiley faces on it!!! tee hee......My hubby made them at work and (as my 13 yr old son said) I pimped out my cane!!! :eyeroll: We had a hippy themed wedding a yr ago (in April), tye dyed shirts and such. It was cool!!! Jennifer :smile:

Hi Tulip, I just wanted to quickly post....about me saying that my hubby says "Enjoy the ride".....it's b/c we try sooo hard to keep a sense of humour through all this....so when I have one of my dizzy spells (which last about 40 seconds usually)...he knows that I'll get through it...but he wants me to laugh...so I don't stress out too much. He definitely takes me seriously...but sometimes the laughter helps me so much. He doesn't do this every time...just at the times when we are both feeling super goofy. Anyway, I have to get to bed. I hope I don't spin!!! Hee..hee!! Hugs, Caroline

WolfClaw20 responded:
Oh the Dizzyness..... how fun that was! :eek: I had spells at the start of the year. That is what got me to the Dr. It got really bad one day while driving. A crate fell off the back of a truck right in front of me and I had to take some wild actions to avoid it. I got so dizzy from swinging the car around I had to pull over and stop till it passed. The Dr couldn't find a reason for it and thought it was from my high blood pressure (we didn't know about the MS yet). Dizzyness went away (YAA!! :sillygrin: ) but alas it was replaced with other strange things, double visions, legs going numb, ya know more MonSter fun. The Dizzyness comes back when I get hot. That just started over the weekend while working outside. I guess that is why the Dr told me to stay Cool. Hope your Dizzy's go away, I know it's not fun. And to think people take drugs to feel like that! James

hippygrl responded:
James, You sound like my hubby!!! He always says to me "Just think people pay good money to feel the way you do!!!" :pbpt: :wink: All I have to say is if they want what I have I'll GLADLY give it them!!! Jennifer :smile:

Hi Jennifer & James.... I know...can you believe that people will pay to feel dizzy like us....TAKE IT AWAY FROM ME ANY DAY!!! :pbpt: Hugs! Caroline :lightsmile:

pengyo responded:
Hi Tulipgal, I think i know what you are going through. I also went through the dizziness and vertigo for about an year but it has gotten better for me although not completely gone. When i have these dizzy spells the only thing that works for me is sitting down and resting a bit. Hey hang in there, i hope your dizziness becomes better as time passes just as it did for me.By the way i love your name "tulipgal" Andy

cjpatterson responded:
Yes, the dizziness can get a bit annoying! I was just outside playing with our new kittens (anyone want one? they are adorable) anyway, it was hard enough being outside with a leg immobilier on...but then the dizzies hit. I just kind of pretended I was drunk until I got to my room and sat down on my bed...now I can't see because of the foggies LOL that's okay...There's hope somewhere!

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Wealth of vitamin D and MS information
There is a lot of information on vitamin D and MS at VitaminDWiki. Shortcut to the MS material is http://tinyurl.com/MSVitaminD . You ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.