Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Itching
linjane1113 posted:
Hi I haven't posted in a while but I was wondering if itching is another sign of MS? I have itching on my arms, back, legs and it seems to hop around to these parts of my body. Any info would be appreciated. Linjane

linjane1113 responded:
Hi again I was just going back over the posts and found the one on itching. So this is from MS. I wonder what my doctor will say. She never knows about these different symptoms. Thanks Linjane

behap2day2 responded:
yep! Pruritis (itching) may occur as a symptom of MS. It is one of the family of abnormal sensations?such as ?pins and needles? and burning, stabbing, or tearing pains?which may be experienced by people with MS. These sensations are known as dysesthesias, and they are neurologic in origin.

revjrp responded:
Yes, itching is part of the MS. I had my whole face, scalp and neck rubbed red from scratching. After I had my 5 day steroid infusion it stopped and I have little problem with it now. Occasionally it bothers but not like it was. However... I have found my hands starting to itch a lot. Sorry that you are having troubles with it linjane. Just another sx of MS. That's why we love "suffering" so much. I found using benedryl creme or the generic helped me get thru the worst so I wouldn't scratch myself raw. The plus side is it may leave as fast as it began. Jennifer

Shellfulton responded:
I had posted one about Itching about a week ago-Listed under shellfulton and yes I have it to, its the newest symptom I have since my latest attack, I was down for a month or so ...I feel like something is crawling on me as a fly would uk! I look down and its not there. all I do is itch so bad there is blood marks and and bruising. As I sit here and type this Its goin on the whole time. Im not Diag. yet Ive been to soo many doctors and have been up and down for 4 yrs with symptoms. Im goin to the Doctor 7-28-09. I feel for u! I really do!

CarolineV9T6R9 responded:
Hi Linjane, I"m sorry you have a doc that doesn't know much about all the MS symptoms. Maybe you could see another neuro that specializes in MS? Lots of hugs, Caroline :grin:

cutie_28 responded:
YES, itching is a sign! I felt stupid going to my doctor, but I couldn't stand it any more I was itching like crazy on my right arm and shoulder. After a few other events and I was diagnosed at 26. My neurologist told me that the itching was an attack. Severe itching is actually considered a type of pain. My itching my doctor game me medcine and creams and nothing. I just had to wait it out until the attack stopped. Hope it stops soon. I feel your pain and fustraion. Take care, Kerry :smile:

truckinlady responded:
I have had the itching too. Mine is on my forehead and my ears. Not inside my ears but on the outside. It feels like hair tickling them but my hair is pulled back most of the time. They are really hard to scratch too........get your fingernails in all the folds and scratch and they get sore. and sometimes my scalp starts itching and I feel like people think I have dandruff. But I don't.........

blythespirit3 responded:
:smile: Hi Linjane ! My itching started on both legs from the knees down because of the numbness and tingly pins and needles. It has now traveled up my left leg to my groin area. The other day I thought that I was itchy underneath my left thigh, but when I started scratching there the itchy/tingly moved to the front of my thigh ! :sealed: :sealed: These areas really flare up on me when I have over done it for the day or when it gets really hot out :sheepish: :sheepish: . My new spot is on my back. It originally started as a spot in the middle of my shoulderblades and off to the left side. In the past 6 wks it has spread as a whole to the right side and the left side numbness now goes down to my waist at times. This spot itches soooo much :pbpt: :ooh: :ooh: :eek: :eek: Standing in the shower and rising my hair is NERVE RACKING :confused: :confused: I have dug at the itchy spot on my back so much that I have drawn blood :ooh: :pbpt: my hubby, PCP, & neuro have all looked at the area to make sure that I have not hurt myself enough to get it infected. When I get out of the shower I have my loving hubby put Cortisone 10 creme ( don't use jel it gets all over the place :pbpt: ) on the spot just to trick my brain into thinking that the creme will ease the itching. It works for me for about 20 min. and then I move and the numbness is still there. When it is hot out I use the cortisone creme and lubiderm lotion to ease the itchy,tingly,burning, prickly feeling on my back and legs. Like I said. All this really does for me is get my brain to think of something else and releave the burning sensation in my legs. There just does not seem to be much that my drs can do for me other than what I am already doing for it. What is really surprising all my drs (3 so far ) is that my brain MRI's are still coming back clear ! :angry: :angry: :sheepish: :sheepish: Now when I ask my loving hubby to scratch my back he knows right where to go without even asking. And he says " See, you can not tell me that this is not MS, you even have the neurosurgeon stumped ! " :ooh: :ooh: :goofy: Good Luck in your search. Let us know if you find something that works for you. Many of us might like to try it ! :smile: :smile: BlytheSpirit :cool:

jnunnery replied to behap2day2's response:
I haven't been diagnosed with MS, but I have more than 2 dozen lesions on my brain & a couple on my neck. I've had some numbness, but the doc doesn't seem to be impressed that it's MS. I've had severe itching spells on my forearms. There's no rash, but a prickly itch that can only be relieved by using ice packs. I'm miserable!! Sometimes I scratch til I draw blood or make blisters. Anything touching my arms can cause an itching frenzy! The more I scratch, the worse it gets! Not scratching is even worse! I'm going MAD! It's like somebody's stabbing me over & over with an itchy knife & I just wanna sink my nails into my skin to make it stop! There are days when it goes away & doesn't bother me, but when it does, it's crazy!! What do I have to tell my doctor, so she'll take me serious? Do I need ti find another Neurologist? HELP ME! I'm gonna be 59 in August

hackwriter replied to jnunnery's response:
jnunnery,

Your itching could be neurological, and in that case a doc can prescribe a pain medication for it. Are you sure it isn't an allergic reaction? Definitely see a doctor for the itching, if you are tearing at your skin then it's a serious problem. Several things could be causing it. Doc needs to make a determination about the source and how to treat it.

By the way, behap2day2, whose post you responded to, died a year ago on June 4, 2010. Her name was Lynn and she is sadly missed.

Kim

LR_60 replied to hackwriter's response:
My mid to upper spine hurts, burns and really iches and whent I take any pain meds even over the counter meds. It relieves some of the pain at times but, makes the itching worse!

jnunnery replied to hackwriter's response:
Thank you for your response, Kim! I'm so sorry to hear about Lynn & I'm sure she's missed enormously!
This is my 1st time using a message board. I have a doctor appt. with my neurologist Monday, so I'll see what she says. I'm sure it would be easier to diagnose if there was a rash, but all you can see are my claw marks.
Thanks again & take care!
Justine

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Repair the Myelin Sheath?
I'm no Dr. but this is what I did: The Myelin Sheath is made from 3 fatty acids- Omega 3 & 6 & DHA. There is aproduct called ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.