Skip to content
Hyperreflexia
val771977 posted:
Hey everyone, I wanted to ask all of you if you also have hyperreflexia? And did this lead to a diagnosis? My Neurologist found I have hyperreflexia when doing the reflex test on the knees. He was concerned with that. I heard this is Hyperactivity of the tendon reflexes which is extremely common in MS, almost the rule. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks Val

Camilla100 responded:
I think you may mean brisk reflexes -- when the knee jumps more than it should when tapped with the hammer. It is common in MS. I have it but not sure if its the rule. Camilla

hackwriter responded:
Val, My earliest clinical exams showed brisk reflexes on the left side. One doctor told me it isn't necessarily an indication of MS. Some people can have naturally brisk reflexes--then the doctor would look for changes in the baseline reflex for that individual. Kim

AL0728 responded:
My left side has very brisk reflexes. My neuro has a nurse practitioner who starts my exam. and she blocks my leg with her leg because she knows it is going to shoot up. My right side is a little fast, but my left side is wild. LOL. AL

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Wealth of vitamin D and MS information
There is a lot of information on vitamin D and MS at VitaminDWiki. Shortcut to the MS material is http://tinyurl.com/MSVitaminD . You ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.