Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Charlie Horses
angelou32 posted:
I just wondered if anyone out there has painful "charlie horses"? I will get them so bad in my calves that they will be tight and sore for days afterwards. Does anyone else have this problem?

I've been dx with MS, Fibromyalgia, Lupus, and Degenerative Disk Disease. So it's hard to differentiate what symptom is from what illness.

Are there any suggestions on how to deal with these "charlie horses"? I'm ready to try just about anything.

Thanks for listening. Angie
FirstPrevious12NextLast

blondieandbrunnette responded:
Could this possible be spasticity from ms? My husband gets these DAILY he hasnt been diagnosed with anything yet. But his is VERY painful where his whole leg muscles tighten up and sometimes it very painful for him to even walk. It differs in everyone..the intensity and location.

angelou32 responded:
Hi Candy,

I was not sure if the "charlie horse" and spasticity were the same thing. And I am like your husband, they're so painful it is very hard to walk. When this happens to him, does he have soreness from it for days after? And what if anything does he do to help with this?

Thanks for replying I appreciate all the advice I can get.

Angie

hackwriter responded:
Yes, I get those "charlie horses" in my calves, too. They stay painful and sore right into the next day.

It is the same as spasticity.

Doing leg stretches is the best, fastest thing to do. Anything that loosens muscles will help relieve and prevent charlie horses.

People who have severe problems with spasticity take drugs like Baclofen and Neurontin.

Kim

angelou32 responded:
Hi Kim,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I am on Lyrica and Baclofen and it just isn't doing me any good

In the morning is the hardest for me. I'll wake up and go to stretch and that does it! I'm screaming out in pain. It gets so unbelievably frustrating

I really do appreciate all the advice I've received from everyone. Thank you so much!!

Angie

For my husband it's allll day long. It's either spasticity where it's so painful and then the the other pain its a burning/aching sensation, so yeah it's probably because its sore..or not? maybe it's 2 different symptoms...He was prescribed zanaflex. He hasn't been referred to a neuro yet. His mri appt is next thurs...no diagnosis so far. But, something needs to happen quick!! He obvisouly is not getting any better.

As for the pain...theats the same question I had last week. Nothing seems to help. Not the muscle relaxer not the clay based heating "pad" nothing but time!!! I hate to see him in this much pain. I guess ms is different in everyone but it seems more often then not people begin with the numbness tingling stuff...not my husband he has went FULL force with pain and weakness...What type of ms are you currently diagnosed with? My husand is only 24:(..his grandmother and a VERY progressive form of ms..thats what scares me..

angelou32 responded:
Secondary/Progressive MS. You also mentioned that your husband's grandmother has MS? I just found that to be interesting. Only because they say that it's not hereditary, right? Yet myself, my sister and my mother all have MS and my mother and I also have been dx with Fibromyalgia. Is there anyone else in the family that has been dx with MS?

What a very frustrating, confusing disease!! It's a monster!!!!!!!

Angie

hackwriter responded:
Angie,

Morning is when this hits us most commonly. Getting out of bed is when I'm at my worst, too.

Because we've been still and cold for eight hours, the muscles will contract and spasm when we get out of bed.

I sleep with a pillow between my knees and make sure not to straighten my bad leg in bed. I get out of bed VERY slowly and carefully. This seems to help me.

Kim

Yes his grandmother had ms. Noone else has been diagnosed with it. But, he was diagnosed with an inflammatory eye disease called pars planitis when he was 18. He had a very aggressive form of this which now has causes a cataract also. Which 7-10% of those patients go on to develop ms..so he has alot of risk factors.

I think defiantely it has a heredity marker for it. But, environmental factors and viruses make up the other part. See like epstein barr virus has been shown to have a role in all this. Which my husband had when he was 17 he had gotten mono. I always remember this because I have always teased him.. I asked "who else did you kiss in high school?" Because we have dated since I was 15..I just turned 23 at the end of sept. He has so many risk factors for it..Now symptoms of it..just no diagnosis yet...which it all really just start in july-august...Let up a little in september then back to being pretty bad again!!!

Your righht it is a MonSter!!!

angelou32 responded:
Thanks for that advice Kim. I've not tried to sleep with a pillow between my knees, however, I will give it a try.

It is so nice talking to people who understand. Thank You

Angie

Its worse in the evening time for my husband..but can be an all day thing.

Is there any strecthing excercises that seem to help the most? I told my husband last night I would ask you guys because he was hurting pretty bad again last night..about a 5..Also do you guys take 1 zanaflex or 2? Maybe he needs to up his dose to 2 pills, he has only been taking 1. I think he took the bottle to work today..so he wouldnt get stuck up at work and not be able to hardly walk like lat week..but, I think its 2 mg.

guitarnut responded:
I used to be extremely flexible, and lately I've had problems with that. Yesterday in gym clas, the only exercises I did were the stretching ones; for everything else, I just stared at the gym teacher (which made her MAD!). But even so, by the end of the day, my shoulders, wrists, hips and legs felt like I'd been exercising all day and had pulled muscles and...it was just horrible. It's not as bad today, but my god, was I in pain yesterday!

So I don't know what stretching exercises would help him; they're all equally as painful to me at this point (and coming from someone who was able to touch the floor with her legs together and straightened with her palm all the way down on the floor, that's just plain weird). My suggestion, though, is to try mild ones, like flexing his foot backwards and forwards, but not enough to push himself, just enough to try and relieve some of it. If he pushes too hard, it'll just make the muscle snap right back like a rubber band, and that will hurt more than the spasticity. He should also try reaching for his feet with either his knees slightly bent or straight, just as long as he doesn't overdo it; as soon as he feels the pull, he should stop. This can be done sitting or standing. The first exercise is good for the calves, the second is good for the calves and the hamstrings.

hackwriter responded:
Great advice, GN!

AL0728 responded:
Yes, I get charlie horses too. I just mentioned them in another post, but called them cramps. Spasticity is the same thing as well.

I have no answers though. When mine occur, they are sometimes so painful that I have to stretch my leg straight out and not move it. I have had them last for a long while. The after pain lasts for days sometimes.

I just ride it out. I have a couple different kinds of muscle relaxers, but they don't seem to help. I am going to ask about the zanaflex someone else mentioned though, I haven't had that one.

Good luck and sorry about the charlie horses, they really suck.

AL

clmtlm responded:
I get muscle spasms in my legs so bad that when they release I turn black and blue. Does anybody else do this? After words muscles just ache. Does the aching in your legs go away? mine does'nt seem to.

Cindy

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Fatigue
Has anyone ever included bee pollen with their diet? I also take niacin. Bee pollen seems to have help me with the fatigue factor along ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.