Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can mom and daughter have MS?
KerryJ004 posted:
Hi everyone, my mother has MS and she is very positive and strong. I have been having some symptoms and was wondering if I had MS as well. Is that even possible? Let me know what you think. Thanks. K

bear27312 responded:
Kerry,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but yes there is some link, genes, that make ms seem to be hereditary. It does not always happen so it is not labeled as a hereditary disease.

My case is my mom had ms. Of her 6 kids, 3 boys have ms and 3 girls do not. The ladies made out as us boys did not.

Jim

KerryJ004 responded:
Thanks, I had a feeling. I guess I will just have to see the doctor and see what they want to do. How many symptoms did you have before they told you, you had MS?

bear27312 replied to KerryJ004's response:
Kerry,
It's a long story but I had vertigo issues when I was 28. Only after many tests, I brought up that my mother had ms then bingo. I had mri that had many lesions but I was not diag with ms. The neuro just told me to continue living life as normal, it was a moment in time.

So I lived my life pretty normal until I started having strength and other movement issues @ 42-43. I knew this was ms and I needed to address it. So hear I am @ 49.

I would not have changed anything as I was without any symptoms. In fact I had forgotten the issue when I was 28.

Jim

Jim

stella5030 responded:
My sister had MS. She was diagnosed in the 60s when she was in her early 20s before there was any treatment for the disease. I always feared that I would also get MS. I had mild symptoms at times, but at age 43 experienced numbness in my feet -- had a series of tests, and the MRI determined that I also had MS. I started on betaseron as soon as it became available, and will turn 60 this mo. MS affects everyone differently. My sister had progressive MS -- mine is remitting-relapsing. It is possible to live a normal life with MS. You just need to know what your limitaitons are.

lisaf69 responded:
I have MS and my 19 year old daughter is now being tested. SO is my 31 year old sister. I am the first in my family that we know of to have MS. MS is not hereditary but having a family member with it does increase your chances for it and having a parent with it increases your chances even more. I pray you don't have MS and I will continue to pray for you.

ptcrusin replied to lisaf69's response:
am going for an MRI on Monday to see if I have MS I have looked on line at al the info about it but not talked to a real person about their symptoms and how they are fairing with the disease would u be willing to taalk with me/

1MollyBea responded:
My Mom was diagnosed with MS when I was 12. I was diagnosed with MS in my early 30's. I'm now 55 and have essentially lived with MS my whole life. I get around pretty well and can do almost all the things I need to do, although I can't work anymore. There certainly is a relationship between us having MS, but I don't believe it is a dominant trait that is a sure thing. As I have heard it it's kind of like the Adult Diabetes gene. You may or may not get it. It's not a sure thing.

1MollyBea replied to ptcrusin's response:
ptcrusin, You are not alone. I would be happy to talk to you. Right now, during diagnosis is a tense and scarry time. Part of the issue may be that MS is different in everyone.

granmere08 responded:
I have MS for 50 years and both my daughters have it. We are concerned right now for my 15 yr. old granddaughter.

Chip62 responded:
Hi Kerry,
My wife, Terry, found out that she had MS on Valentine's Day in 1998. Her Mother had Progressive MS that was a long downhill roller coaster that saw her Mom go from walking with a slight limp, to cane, to walker, to wheelchair, to bedridden, to death over twenty-five years. Her Mom, died in 1995 at age 70. She did not have the benefit of the wonderful drugs and treatment that is available today to fight MS. Terry is the second oldest of four children. Neither her two brothers or younger sister exhibit any signs of the disease. Terry's is remitting-relapsing. She takes Betaseron and has for at least 10 years. Her first signs of trouble came with a lose of feeling in the balls of her feet. She could walk fine but her strapless shoes were retired. We had a very good General Practitioner that sensed (as we did) that this was MS. She arranged for an MRI and we began a search for a very good Neurologist. You will benefit if your Neuro specializes in MS. The white spots on the MRI looked like someone had been eating rice and dropped a few kernals on the film. Her second episode came with Optic-neuritis which attacked both of her optic nerves within weeks of each other. This can be scary as you think you are going blind but her vision returned (but not quite 100%). Terry continued to work for 10 more years at her job which she held for 33 years. Slowly, the cognitive challenges of her stressful position at work began to show in her performance and happiness. Her Neuro was a great help as we retired her number from the office and technical workforce and she settled into her continuing role as queen of my life.
'Watchful waiting' is not agressive treatment and why lose time on getting on board with current technology and drug developments that came help you?
By the way, there is almost nothing that Terry and I don't do as long as we plan for her need to rest,relax and be as stress free as possible.
Good Luck!
Chip

Miss_Mommy replied to Chip62's response:
First, I would like to say how sorry I am for those diagnosed and the family members of those diagnosed. Both positions can be quite stressful.
Second - my mother was diagnosed with MS when she was 28 years old. Not knowing what type at that point. Within 5 years she was bedridden in a convalescent home; unable to talk, eat, anything besides think, laugh, and cry. She suffered for 8 more years passing away at the young age of 41. Obviously she had Progressive. That was 15 years ago.
About 3 years ago my right hand went numb. #1 - I dont go to the doctor unless I'm bleeding from the ears and even then...I might wait. #2 - I work in finance and am on the PC all day...I thought carpal tunnel. Well time went on and the numbness went up my arm and down my right side. I entered the symptoms into WebMD (because who needs a doctor when we have the internet to self diagnose, right). Well, WebMD said "silent stroke"...OH, crap. I raced to the ER and had every test imaginable. No strokes, no tumors, blood pressure ok...all OK. Except they think I have MS and are sending me to a neurologist. I hit the floor in tears. From the time I was 9 years old - I watched my mother go thru hell and when you have an image like that...its hard to accept when people say "oh, people can live normal lives with MS". I get it, but this illness is unpredictable. What if? I have 2 daughters (9 & 12) - history repeating itself?
Now on to the hereditary issue - according to my neurologist, the neurologist at the Nat'l MS Society and a geneticist. MS is genetic in approx 2% of cases. According to the geneticist my 2 daughters are now at a higher risk (about 10% higher). They will have to start having MRIs once a year starting at the age of 19.
I understand the issues behind MS. I have done my research. I have asked for many tests to rule out other possibilities. But in the end MS was, is, and will remain (until a cure is found) an unpredictable illness. I can only hope and pray that each of us has the family and friend support system to get thru it and live life to its fullest.
D-

penni65 replied to Miss_Mommy's response:
I was diagnosed with M.S. 14 years ago. I have the relapsing remitting type. I am very fortunant the only attack I have had was when I was diagnosed. I had no warning signs at all. I went to work and I had a sharp pain in my head and closed my eyes tightly and when I opened my eyes again everything was going around. It had attacked my left eye and vision. After 3 months of bed rest and steroid treatments I was beginning to be able to ride in a car again. It was hell. I prayed to die. It took me a complete year to be able to go to the store by myself. My neurologist put me on Avonex in January of 1997 and I have been on it ever since. I have not had anymore serious attacks from the M.S. The heat bothers me and my legs hurt at times.
8 years ago my older brother began to have some health problems and he was diagnosed with brain cancer. During his test he had on his tumor, they also told him he had M.S. With him having an in-operatable brain tumor the M.S. was put on hold due to the tumor. My sweet brother lost his battle with cancer 3 years ago but I do remember him complaining about his legs hurting all the time. We never found out what type of m.s. he had. I feel this does run in families. I have a 25 year old son that I pray does not have this horrible disease. I live a pretty normal life. I live in Texas so we have extremely hot and humid weather in the summer time. During this time I stay indoors. I am engaged to get married to my best friend. He supports me to the fullest. We have booked a trip to Hawaii in June. We will be staying on the island of Kauai. I feel like living with the disease you need to go and do and see while you can because their may come a day when I am not able to. I have heard of a new medication that is in the works with very promissing results called Neurovax. Its a once a month injection for the rest of your life from what I understand. I think having one shot a month is better than 4. With the Avonex its a weekly injection. But its not so bad that I dread "shotday"!! Just the side effect for the next 24 hrs is not pleasant. Its flu like symptoms. As long as you take Advil evry 4 hours it is tollerable. But you have to take it like clock work! I would like to say if you have been diagnosed with M.S. to please get on some type of medication for this disease. I have had several doctors and read several articles that say, that is the key to living as normal of a life as possible. I would highly recommend Avonex. Everyone that I tell I have M.S. tell me I look like a picture of good health. May god bless you all. ) Penni

bryna49 replied to penni65's response:
I too have MS and mine is relapsing-remitting. I was diagnosed 6 years ago at the age of 54 after having a case of severe depression, hand tremors with numbness and severe leg pain. An MRI showed that I had MS. My neurologist whom specializes in MS in the Northwest informed me that I probably have had MS for a long time after he had studied my health history. He said that my diagnosis had slipped through the cracks earlier. I was also immediately placed on Avonex and I agree the shot once a week is nothing. The flu symptoms are tolerable as I take Tylenol every 4 hours throughout the day. Avonex is expensive and costs almost $2400 per month. My insurance covers all but $600 per month and I was unable to afford even that. Thanks to a pharmaseudical company I am on their free program. What I want to say is there is financial assistance out there so don't be discouraged because of cost. Recieving Avonex is an important treatment to decrease MS progression. I also avoid becoming overheated in the summer and try to rest when I feel tired. I think the most important thing is to try to avoid stress, get some exercise and eat a well balanced diet. Then enjoy life to it's fullest.

nothingclever replied to Miss_Mommy's response:
My Mom had M.S. and in the scariest way like I am seeing described on this forum. I was diagnosed with the disease 5 years ago. I am one of 5. I am the only one with the disease, but 3 cousins on my Mom's side, all around my age, also have M.S. Not blood, but my SIL also has M.S. My poor brother: A mother, a wife and a sister all with M.S.!

Anyway, I digress. Since my daughter is certainly at risk, I am curious about your statement, "They will have to start having MRIs once a year starting at the age of 19". Can you expand on that for me? Was this your neurologist who suggested it?

As for the original poster and anyone else who is freaking out that they might have M.S.: GET AN MRI. This is the golden standard in getting an M.S. diagnosis. If your MRI is clean, you pretty much are out of the woods and can stop worrying. If not, you can get on a Disease Modifying Drug and slow that M.S. train down. DMDs were not luxuries available to my mother in the 70s. She died at 45 in 1972 after a horrible, horrible battle. I won't even go into specifics as it would not be what a newbie really needs to hear right now...especially since those were the days of absolutely no treatment other than steroids.
-J
el2 in sto AD luxu iadeterminingt

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
105 of 107 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.