Skip to content
Vitamin D can stop MS
VitaminDman posted:
I am an attorney in Tucson, AZ diagnosed with PPMS 5 years ago. I had active MS lesions at the time of my diagnosis. I was told there was no effective treatment. I then read hundreds of studies and found that an elevated 25(OH)D level was associated with lower icidence of MS. I found mouse studies where vitamin D completely preventsd attempts to induce MS in mice. Based on these, and other, studies, i raised my 25(OH)D level to >100. For the past 4 years I have had no active lesions, verified by 3 gadolinium MRIs. You can view a summary of the research I found at www.vitamindmscure.com, or email me at jdyer@kss-law.com, and I can give you more information.According to the research, there are no side effects associated with raising your 25(OH)D level to between 100-150, and if you read the articles, you will see that vitamin d has an immunomodulating effect that stops white blood cells from attacking your nerves. I'm not a doctor, but this has worked for me, is based on sound studies, and i believe it will help everyone with MS.
Jim Dyer
FirstPrevious12NextLast

swampster1952 responded:
Hello Jim,

Thank you for your heartfelt testimonial for the beneficial effects of vitamin D!

However, it is doubtful that vit. D actually stops MS. It may have in your case, but how would you prove it? Only by stopping taking the vit. D and see what happens, maybe.

I agree that keeping a high level of vitamin D3 in your blood is good for us that suffer from MS. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it stops it however. This idea would give false hope to people who otherwise would take a more aggressive approach to treating their MS.

But as you indicated, taking a lot of Vit. D3 is not going to hurt a "normal" person, and it is inexpensive so why not take it? I take 8,000 IU per day. I am also on Tysabri.

Dave

VitaminDman replied to swampster1952's response:
Dave, perhaps it will not stop the progression of the disease in every MS sufferer, but if you read all of the literature, and keep your 25(OH)D level greater than 100 for a year, I will be shocked if you don't agree that it had a dramatic effect on your disease activity.
No one should stop or alter any treatment recommended by their physician. Vitamin D will help regardless of the treatment regimen, and there is no reason to stop anyhting. There is a study underway right now combining copaxone and vitamin D, though i don't know the dosage used in the study.
Jim

behap2day2 replied to VitaminDman's response:
the vitamin d thing has been around for a long time. my d levels are normal and increasing the levels had no effect.

lynn

VitaminDman replied to behap2day2's response:
Lynn, unless you kept your 25(OH)D level over 100 for 10-12 months, you would not see any effect. I'm sure you must know that there is no definitive study to prove the efficacy of vitamind to reduce or eliminate MS activity, and as you pointed out, the researh i have cited has been around for a long time. There is a great reluctance to engage in this kind of definitve testing, because there is no money in it, and much money to be lost when the study (whenever it is done) proves the efficacy of vitamin D in reducing or eliminating active MS lesions. you might want to take a look at the vitamin d informationon the "thisisms.com' website.
I am very interested in knowing the references you have seen in the past that led to your statement that "the vitamin d thing has been around for a long time". Please share.

behap2day2 replied to VitaminDman's response:
vitamindman,

no time to go find those old references,,,bigger health issues to concentrate on.

lynn

swampster1952 replied to VitaminDman's response:
Hello VitD Man,

I believe what Lynn was getting at was that there has been quite a bit of "investigation" into vitamin D levels and people with MS for quite some time.

I do not recall the specific references either, but I do remember reading quite a few articles on the possibilities of a Vit. D deficiency being one of the culprits behind whether or not a person comes down with MS or not.

We are not saying that your testimony about your success with Vit. D and MS is bunk. Just that there has been no clinical trials to prove or disprove a connection between Vit. D and MS. Only anecdotal evidence, which will never cut it in the scientific sense.

Still, many of us do supplement our diets with large doses of Vit. D3. I am glad that your increased supplement has done wonders for you!

Dave

hackwriter replied to swampster1952's response:
And to complicate the issue further.....my neuro recently told me that D deficiency in childhood is what raises our risk of MS later on, rather than a present deficiency.

His research yielded that take on it, and I'm sure there are endless variations on the theme.

At any rate, I'm deficient now and I take a 1200IUs of D. I might try taking a higher dose at some point, but I would not expect to awaken one morning with a complete reversal of symptoms or lesions as a result, any more than I would expect mega-doses of fish oil to keep me from aging past 50.

As Dave wrote, let's see a a clinical trial that'll talk turkey.

Kim

Can1elsie replied to swampster1952's response:
Hi Dave in Alaska.

I see you take 8000 IU of D3 daily. Did you notice any difference? Or is it like you said-that you wouldn't know unless you stopped?

How long have you been taking that much? I have currently upped mine to only 1000 IU.

Sandy in Canada ( wishing I had my icon)

Mandy01h replied to Can1elsie's response:
I started the vitamin D as per the Dr. at 50,000 mg per week (its a tiny pill not hard to take) after 3 months now I do 3000-4000mg per day. Dr. has told me better more than less so maybe 1000 is just not enough???

swampster1952 replied to Can1elsie's response:
Hello Sandy,

I havn't noticed a "difference" in anything since starting on the increased Vit. D3 regime. But what would I notice anyway?

I am taking it in the hope that it acts as a prophylactic agent against future lesion formation. Since I can't really OD on Vit. D3, I figure that it won't hurt and it may help in some way or other.

Maybe this is voodoo science, but what the heck...

Dave

Can1elsie replied to swampster1952's response:
Exactly...what have you to lose?

Good to "talk" with you Dave.
Sandy

VitaminDman replied to Can1elsie's response:
It has been known since shortly after WWI that MS prevelance increases the further north, and south, you travel from the equator. The incidence tracks the level of UVB sunlight, which is what the body uses to make vitamin D. There is a body of resarch, out of Australia mostly that very strongly suggests that if kids get enough D though puberty, they won't get MS. There has been no definitive study to test whether high dose vitamin D will help MS. The research I initially discussed illustrates the distinct relationship between vitamin D blood level and MS prevelence. The mouse studies show the immunomodulating effect of vitamin D. If you have MS, the key Is to maintain your BLOOD LELVEL ( between 100 and 150), not how much you take per day. It took me almost a year to achieve radiographic remission. It stops the progression of the disease, it does not reverse your symptoms.

VitaminDman replied to Mandy01h's response:
The key is to maintain your 25(OH)D level between 100 and 150. It is not about the amount you take, you need to take whatever amount maintains you blood level between 100 and 150. For me, it is 12000-15000 IU/day. You need to maintain it it for many months to stop the progression of the disease. It takes years for the process to wreck our nerves, and it takes some time to stop the attack.

IHeartLife replied to VitaminDman's response:
i've been taking 5,000iu vit D every day for a few months. my D level went from 14 to 21. it doesn't seem to want to go up. i grew up on the east coast and moved to the northwest 2 years ago. got diagnosed in september of last year. right now the only meds i am taking are vit. D and vicodin.

there has to be much more to it than just the D level.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.