Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is Mouth inflammation part of MS?
SusieT0114 posted:
I have had this before (December) for 4 weeks and went from doctor to doctor. This was before I got the diagnosis of MS this past March. I sort of thought it was due to a food allergy of some sort but now I wonder. It is back again and just staring. (ugh). My lips will crack horribly and puff out like I have eaten something I am allergic to, the inside of my mouth will get raw and so will my throat. My gums get puffy as well to the point I started to worry about my front teeth. Last time I saw the allergist several times, the Rheumatologist twice, went to a walk in clinic, Dermatologist, you name it. I was given antibiotics, steroids, told to swish with benadryl and peroxide, tried almost every lip balm on the shelf, given Nystatin, ate yogurt nonstop and the list goes on and on. Finally it went away and it didn't look so horrible anymore. I still have some marks on my face from it. Thank goodness for make up. But it is back and now I wonder if this is connected to MS. Does anyone know?

Thank you to anyone who read all of this!

hackwriter responded:
Hi, Susie,

It sounds like either an allergic reaction or an infection. I haven't heard of MS causing those symptoms. I'd mention it to your neurologist, too. If you are taking an MS disease-modifying therapy, there can certainly be some weird side effects from those. Interferons and Tysabri are notorious for aggravating all kinds of infections, from UTIs to vaginitis, gingivitis to, well, every "itis" you can think of.

I once knew a woman whose eyes swelled up horribly and left her with sagging eyelids after it resolved. It was a severe sinus infection for which she did not seek treatment.

If it is something like a sinus infection, that usually resolves on its own, with or without antibiotics If you completed the full course of antibiotic and think it didn't do the trick, you might need to try a different one. There are so many, it's often hit or miss.

Hope your doctors can figure it out!

Kim

12jenny27 responded:
I know a lot of my meds cause weird side effects. I take Lyrica,and it makes my tongue swell where it hurts. Most of the time it doesn't last that long, but it's the only thing i have been able to link it to. My lips also stay extremely dry and cracked due to medication. sometimes i think the side effects are just as much as a pain as what your taking it for.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Wealth of vitamin D and MS information
There is a lot of information on vitamin D and MS at VitaminDWiki. Shortcut to the MS material is http://tinyurl.com/MSVitaminD . You ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.