Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
periphial neuropathy or MS
hellsdancer posted:
maybe have MS, I was very depressed and drinking (dont do it anymore)in january and took a handful of gabapentin. Since then I have nerve pain in my left hand. Its slowly getting better, but at night its the worsed. At the beginning I had to go to the emergency room and got diagnosed with periphial neuropathy. I got some tests ordered, but could only finish a needle test, the electrical one was too bad and I had to brake it off. Since the tests werent complete the "diagnosis" was possible Carpal Tunnel. Even though I tell my Doctor that I have nerve pain, she insists I have Carpal Tunnel. I had one operation on the affected hand a couple of years ago. Another Doctor in her office (after hour clinic) gave me some samples of Lyrica and tramadol for the pain. when i take them 3X a day they work great. But she only prescribes them 2X a day so I'm constantly arguing for more. She makes me feel like a drug adict. Well my questions are, could all of this be due to MS ? and will this nerve pain ever go away? I need to type at work and its getting so I have to type with one hand. I have to go to this doctor because I dont have insurance and she offers services with a pay scale. Can anyone help? Also I am afraid to tell her that I tried to commit suiside, because she wont prescribe me anymore pain meds, because she thinks i will commit suiside again. Also I dont know if I have MS or not, because I got diagnosed a couple of years ago by a neurologist, but I had "only" legions and my spinal test came out normal, so he renigged on the previous diagnosis. So now my original docor says I dont have MS. I am soo confused. I cant afford a doctor, since I dont have insurance and dont make enough. I am 62 in june. Maybe someone out there has simular problems? But I doubt it. Thanks for reading this. You all take care!

swampster1952 responded:
If you can't afford a doctor then how are you paying for the one who won't prescribe the amount of drugs that you want??

Dave

hackwriter responded:
Hello Helldancer,

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. Your story is not uncommon, however. MS is hard to diagnose and takes years for many of us. We often don't fulfill all the criteria all at once. I waited six years for my MS diagnosis.

The EMG test will show whether you have peripheral neuropathy. But, this test will not necessarily rule out a CNS disease like MS, either. It is possible to have both. I had an EMG on my arm just prior to my MS diagnosis. I had no peripheral damage except for some "muscle death" in the upper arm that my neuro deemed "normal."

Your request to add one more dose of Lyrica and tramadol to your daily regime is not unreasonable. I'm not sure why your doctor is so reluctant to make this modification.

I, too, have no insurance and on a fixed income. I sought out a private charity clinic and now I see a neuro and PCP free of charge. It's affiliation with a hospital allows me to get free tests and procedures through the hospital charity program.

My advice is to seek out such a clinic, or call your county health department. The county should have a community clinic for the indigent and uninsured. I also use the county medical clinic in addition to the private charity clinic.

It takes some research, but you should be able to find such an alternative. We must be our own advocate for our heath care needs.

Kim

hellsdancer replied to swampster1952's response:
pay scale.Circa $15 a visit. pfeizer has aproved me for one year of Lyrica and the other meds are $4. hope that answers your "curious" question. i wished you had some kind of comment for my other questions.

hellsdancer replied to hackwriter's response:
Thank you so very much for your comment Kim. And you are soo right. As a matter of fact I think I know of that kind of clinic that your talking about. Thanks again for the positive input. Be blessed!

swampster1952 replied to hellsdancer's response:
Okay, maybe I deserved the gentle rebuke!

Too many people come here once, complain about something that seems to be a no brainer situation and then go away. I get tired of those kind of people. I thought that you were just another one of those types.

Kim's response to you was right on the money to answer your questions. I have excellent insurance and a good team of doctors on my side, so I don't have to think about your kind of problems. But, it seems pretty simple to me that if one situation is not working out then it will be up to me to find one that does!

Gee, maybe that is just me...

Dave

jazzylady99 replied to hackwriter's response:
HI, I AGREE WITH U, IF U REALLY WANT HELP, THERE ARE LOTS OF CHARITY CLINICS, AND IF HE IS HAVING ALL THESE OTHER TEST AND THERE ARE COMING BACK NORMAL, HOW IS HE PAYING FOR THEM. I ALSO LIKE U DID NOT HAVE INSURANCE BUT I AM GETTING ASSISTANCE FROM PROGRAMS THAT ARE AVAILABLE OUT THERE. YOUR ADVICE WAS VERY GOOD.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D
I've had MS since 2001 and had flare ups usually twice a year. Although I have mild MS with tingling and with flare up moderate pain I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.