Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ampyra...
swampster1952 posted:
I started taking Ampyra today. Hopefully I will realize some nerve signal conduction improvement with it.

Dave

An_204754 responded:
I have started taking Ampyra today - how is it going so far?

kgnsn responded:
i have been taking it for a little over a week and began to notice the difference within 3 days. my family was totally amazed at the difference with my walking and the decrease in difficulty i had been having with my right leg. i am loving it, it has even boosted my spirits because i can walk better. i also do wii-fit yoga and balance games, that is helping also. good luck to u both.

sandyf21 responded:
I was prescribed 4-AP by my neurologist and it has helped. It is a compounded drug by the pharmacist and is like Amprya and much cheaper. They are unable to compound it now since the FDA approval of Amprya. Have you ever used 4-AP?? It has helped me and I am hoping for insurance approval of the Amprya. The Amprya might be better since it is sustained release. Good luck with the Ampyra.

ssbpah responded:
Hey Swampster---

I was just approved for Ampyra, and should have it within the week. I am rather excited about trying it! Good luck, and keep us posted!

SandyB

An_204755 responded:
I started taking Ampyra on May 22. I don't know if it is mind over matter, as common sense tells me it is too soon to tell, but I do feel my walking has improved slightly already. I only hope it keeps improving. One thing I can report is my Neurologist informed me he had good results from this Drug when he prescribed it for me (which was on May 13).

mckbee replied to kgnsn's response:
I have been approved for Ampyra, am scheduled to receive the drug on Friday May 28th. I am prayfully hoping that I will receive the same sort of response. I hope you keep doing well.

swampster1952 responded:
Hello All,

As mentioned, I started taking Ampyra last Friday, which means today is my 6th day taking the drug.

I can't really tell if I have any improvement from taking it or not. I do think there have been subtle improvements in my leg coordination an cognitive function but...nothing dramatic that points to that eureka moment of "ah hah, this is it!"

I am still optimistic however!

Dave

AuntyTess responded:
Good Morning,

Could you please give me an update on how the Ampyra is working (or not)?

swampster1952 replied to AuntyTess's response:
Hello Aunty Tess,

I have been taking Ampyra now for 11 days and so far nothing dramatic as far as improvements in walking do. As I stated before, there may be some slight improvement, but it is too subtle to define.

Dave

AuntyTess replied to swampster1952's response:
Morning Dave,

Thanks for your reply. I am walking better but my balance is still off. I definitely think it is working because before I started taking it I was struggling walking. I really hope you see a difference soon. On a separate issue, I go for my Tysabri on Thursday, I am apprehensive, but I also know it has got to be done.

Have a good day.

shotsy66 replied to AuntyTess's response:
Aunty Tess,

Please let us know how the tysabri infusion goes. I go for my MRI on Friday after 6 tysabri infusions.

Beth

AuntyTess replied to shotsy66's response:
I will, and good luck to you for the MRI - I hope you get a good result. With my Neuro I get the results about half an hour later - is yours the same?

shotsy66 replied to AuntyTess's response:
Aunty Tess

Yes I get the results right away. As soon as the MRI is done it is faxed to my neurologists office. So I call him the next day and he gives me my results. Again good luck to you and I am sure you will be pleased with not having any side effects.

Have a good day.

Beth

ssbpah replied to swampster1952's response:
Hi Dave, and all!

I have been really really hoping I could say this. Today was my 5th day on Ampyra. I started noticing some subtle things, but tonight I didn't walk like Herman Munster! Eureka, Dave!

SandyB

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
105 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.