Thirty days on Ampyra...
swampster1952 posted:
Good morning all,

I have been on Ampyra now for about 30 days. So far I have noticed very little improvement in my ability to walk or any improvement in other symptom areas.

I will continue taking it for at least another month to see if anything improves.

Dave
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Always14989 responded:
Darn it, Dave;

I guess we will all be individuals on this treatment, as well!

Thanks for letting us know how it is going for you.

Continue letting us know how the second month goes, please. Feedback is what we come here for!

Smiles to you,

Al(ways crossing my fingers for all of us!)

jenokatona replied to Always14989's response:
where can i buy AMPYRA?

swampster1952 replied to jenokatona's response:
Hello jeno,

Your doctor has to prescribe it and it is only available through a specialty pharmacy.

Dave

AuntyTess responded:
Hi Dave,

I have been taking Ampyra for just over a month also. I have noticed a difference in how far I can walk and also I walk a little faster - not much but enough to notice the difference. I walk my dogs every day, and whereas before I was struggling after a couple of yards, now it is a couple of yards before I get home, when I start feeling as if I cannot make the final steps.

On another subject, I wonder if you can help me, as you seem to know 'stuff'. I have back trouble which seems to get worse if I do housework, or wear shoes that are slightly higher than normal. This pain and discomfort goes if I rest for an hour or so. My question is - do you think it is the MS or the slipped disc. Do you or anyone have the same symptom? I am at a total loss and would be interstested in your response.

Tess

ssbpah replied to AuntyTess's response:
Hi ya'll!

Ok---I am on my 2nd bottle of Ampyra. I know that twice I said I was much better, but that is only twice that I felt lots better. The rest of the time I have felt noticeably better, but not to the extent that I hoped for! I'll just keep tying!
Dave, have you continued to feel really good? I hope so!

SandyB

AuntyTess replied to ssbpah's response:
Hi Sandy,

Do you think that we just get used to feeling better? I know that before my walking was an issue I took walking for granted - not any more, but I do think these tablets have certainly helped me.

Tess

ssbpah replied to AuntyTess's response:
Hi Tess,

Boy, there are a lot of things I took for granted! I started this in 1973, and still could do all those things until after 2000. This is the pits! I do think I am walking faster, so need to be careful!

SandyB

swampster1952 replied to AuntyTess's response:
Hello Tess,

I am only a Swamp Doctor (phd in wetland ecology) but I would think more along the lines of back problems like a slipped disc rather than the MS. The mention of shoes with a slightly raised heel is the clue I am using for my "dx".

Dave

AuntyTess replied to swampster1952's response:
Thanks Dave, I just wondered because I have started going to another Chiro and I haven't got any more money to waste.

I wondered if it was the MS but due to the resting, I hope it is the slipped disc (which is L4 & 5). If this Chiro doesn't work, I am afraid it is back surgery!!!!!!

Thanks again for your input.

Tess

mtb213 replied to Always14989's response:
I have been on Ampyra for three weeks now and the results have been absolutely amazing. I was suffering from foot drop that was getting to the point where the cane wasn't enough--I was looking at wheeled mobility devices. Now my therapist is weaning me OFF of the cane! Not only has my gait vastly improved, but my balance and disposition are better. Ampyra has given me a second chance!

hss0514 replied to mtb213's response:
I've been on Ampyra for a little over 3 months and really haven't noticed any significant improvement in my walking. Does anyone know if its possible that it takes longer to work in some people?

laurooo replied to AuntyTess's response:
Some of the less common side affects of Rebif is back pain and tooth pain. I switched from Copaxone due to high liver enzymes and started with the back and tooth pain. The back pain isn't as bad. The tooth pain has taken longer but it is less sever than it was as well.

Lauri

mtb213 replied to mtb213's response:
I have given up on wearing most of my 50 pairs of shoes because of foot drop, but since starting Ampyra, I am planning to wear a pair of low-heeled shoes to a party today. I can't say enough good things about the positive effects I'm feeling after starting Ampyra one month ago!

ddhg63 replied to mtb213's response:
I am thankful for your post. So happy for you!! I will begin Ampyra as soon as ins approves me ~ hopefully next week. The seizure threat frightens my husband terribly - me not so much - and I'm relieved not to see any posted reports about that experience. I too have used a cane ~ since about '96 and balance is becoming more challenging over the past year. I'm hopeful to copy your experience.