Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
DR Lava can you help?
wezzymc posted:
numbness in left leg both legs are painful and stiff after sitting. hand fingers tingle and are pain full all the time cant flex fingers also cant straighten fingers(painful).Waking up at night with arm numb and ice cold.decreased lung function. rapid eye movement. feet in pain toes hurt. un balanced forgetful, fell worse when i get hot.just fell bad almost all over.dont know if all of this is conected or not.tring to find ansers,have to work,need to stop hurting.

Jeffrey A Rumbaugh, MD, PhD responded:
It sounds like you are suffering and I am sorry to hear about your pain. I wish I could help but it is very difficult to be able to suggest possible diagnoses, or even the best course of evaluation, without more information. If this is relatively recent in onset, it could be a multiple sclerosis exacerbation. For example, a lesion in the spinal cord could cause the symptoms in your legs and arms, and you might ask your doctor about doing a MRI of the cervical and thoracic spinal cord with and without contrast, if that has not already been done. There are also many possible causes of pain in multiple sclerosis, including damage to the nerves themselves (neuropathic pain) and pain that comes from stiffness (spasticity) or spasms of the muscles. Different pain medications are used for these different types of pain, so it is important for your doctor to try to figure out which type (or types) of pain you have, and then use the correct kind of medication to best control that kind of pain.

wezzymc replied to Jeffrey A Rumbaugh, MD, PhD's response:
THANKS!you gave me a direction.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 63 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.