Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
OVER ACTIVE REFLEXES
wezzymc posted:
ARE OVER ACTIVE REFLEXES A SING OF MS?

Janonly responded:
If it is what I think you are meaning, yes and it is called spasticity not sure of the spelling. I was first told, drink water and it will go away but it is not from dehydration it is just another signal gone awry.

I have found activity helps stop them but often painful. By activity, sudden quick movement of the area affected, will sometime cause the nerve to react to your movement and forget the twist and turn, and sometimes just working to resist them can be a challenge .

To answer your question... Yes.

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
Over active reflexes are a sign of an abnormality of a part of the nervous system called the pyramidal tracts. Anything that damages the pyramidal tracts can cause a number of symptoms including over active reflexes. Multiple Sclerosis can cause this clinical sign, but is not the only cause.

An_204783 replied to Neil S Lava, MD's response:
I have been dx w/MS. When I was in the hospital in 1/10 to r/o seizure disorder I had hyperactive reflexes. Recently when I went to my MD for my PE my reflexes were very slow.

What causes such variation? Is this a concern I should address w/my Neuro MD or is it just part of the MS changing?

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Dreams: My Journey with Multiple Sclerosis
At seven years old I absolutely knew what I wanted to do with my life: become a performer and maybe head for Broadway! A basement ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.