Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need help with M.S. pain...
jt407376 posted:
My girlfriend has been diagnosed with M.S. for 10 years now (she's now mid 30's). She is being treated with monthly infusions of Tysabri, Opana and Neurotin for pain, Provigil and NuVigil for fatigue and a a ton of other medications for fatigue, depression, anxiety, etc... Her chronic pain is very difficult to watch her go through day in and day out (I feel so helpless and her pain med's aren't working). Her fatigue is unbearable to witness also. She spends every night and weekend on the couch or in bed. She's a very strong woman and she will not stop working and go on disability, which is what I think she should do, as she is only functional for about 3 hours a day. But she wants to work. Anyway, Does anyone know of a medication that could help her with her pain? I've been researching M.S. pain and it seems that fibromyalgia medications may work. Any ideas or suggestions?

holly1416 responded:
You didn't post all of her medications, and I'm no neurologist...

Cymbalta is an antidepressant that works for fibromyalgia pain and might be an option. The Opana, neurontin, antidpressant, and anti-anxiety medication could all be contributing to the fatigue. If she is not seeing a psychiatrist, I would recommend this. Many of them are also good with chronic pain. And, be sure that her entire list of medications are avialble to EVERY MD she sees as many medications can interact with each other, and they should be checking for these interactions everytime a new medication is added.

I applaud you for standing beside her.
Holly

jt407376 replied to holly1416's response:
List of medications: Opana, Neurotin & occasional Vicoden (pain), Xanax (anxiety), Prestiq (depression), Benzo (not sure what this is for), NuVigil & Provigil (fatigue), Macrobib- when needed (UTI's). This is what she takes daily. Opana is not working any longer and the Neurotin makes it very difficult for her to perform daily functions. The fatigue I can handle as I do all of the house work (laundry, cooking, cleaning, taking care of the dogs, errands, etc...) It's the pain that is making me feel so helpless. I knew she had M.S. when I met her 1 1/2 years ago but I didn't know exactly what I was getting into. That being said, I fell deeply in love with her and would never leave her side because of her medical condition. I find myself every day, all day, wanting and thinking, how can I help her?

holly1416 replied to jt407376's response:
Benzo isn't a name of any medication, it is usually short for benzodiazepine which the class of drugs xanax is in. There are the suggestions I can make, Pristiq is basically a new and improved version of Effxor XR (venlafaxine). And, the Effexor XR is very similar to Cymbalta. However, Cymbalta also helps those with nerve pain. Ask the doc about a possible switch over. Opana, like all opiate pain medication, tends to need to be increased at intervals because the body builds a tolerance to them. So, she may need an increase or a change to a new type of medication because you can only take so much. If the Neurontin seems to help, talk to the doc about changing the timing and see if a higher dose can be taken at bedtime and less during the day to improve her functioning. If it's not, ask about a trial of Lyrica. It is a very similar medication and she may respond better to this.

Good luck!

daughter73 responded:
My mom has MS and was suffering from severe back and leg pain, as well as depression. She just layed on the couch everyday and sometimes couldn't get out of bed. She would cry herself back to sleep. Her doctor prescribed Cymbalta for the depression, but apparently it also is used for pain relief. She has been happy and going strong for 6 weeks now, no problems except the usual fatigue from over-exertion. We are amazed! She is able to go shopping and out to restaurants. And she has been keeping her grand-daughter (my 17 month old niece) 3 days a week since she started Cymbalta. Wow! It seems to be her current miracle drug.

jt407376 replied to holly1416's response:
She has Decreased her dose of Opana per her doctors recommendation and has increased her Neurotin at bedtime. Its a game the doctors play, I think, so they can get you to come into their office and make more money from the insurance company. It's like being a Guinea Pig. But thats just me venting!
Are these medications doing damage to her. I know that if you take an anti-anxiety and mix it with an opiate, it can stop your heart from beating. She doesn't abuse any of her medication. When she's hurting or having a panic attack she will only take the recommended dose and deal with it if it's not working. I can't stand feeling so helpless!!!!! I want that magic wand to wave over and POOF, she's all better. I'll recommend the Cymbalta. I've learned she's tried Lyrica and it didn't work. We'll keep playing with different med's and see what will or won't work for her. But we're getting really tired and frustrated having to take off work and sit in a doctors office for hours on end until they think they have an idea...

helpwithMS responded:
Were about are you situated ?

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Repair the Myelin Sheath?
I'm no Dr. but this is what I did: The Myelin Sheath is made from 3 fatty acids- Omega 3 & 6 & DHA. There is aproduct called ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.