Skip to content
fevers and ms
rwashington3430 posted:
I have been having a low grade fever for about 2 weeks now. It ranges from 99.3 to 100.1. I have had a recent surgery, could my body be running the fever because it is also trying to heal from surgery? The surgeon isnt concerned because fever is not over 101. Even taking tylenol or advil I still have low grade fever. Now when I rest the fever does go down. Is this normal or do I need to call my neuro or gp?

holly1416 responded:
Call your GP.

judybird64 responded:
I second the advice to call your GP, but I want to add my experiences with low-grade fevers. I've had auto-immune diseases for over 11 years and any time my inflammatory level goes up at all, I run a low-grade fever (99.0 - 100.9). Very definately after surgery your inflammatory level is up, even if you don't have an auto-immune disease (like MS). Actually, I just had surgery on 7/21, so I completely get what you're saying...I was calling my surgeon, too, when my fever was 100, but they, too, said that only a fever over 101 indicates infection. You can never be too safe, I believe, so call them, but I think your guess is likely right.
Best Wishes!
Judy

Ladyharness replied to judybird64's response:
I had a knee replacement on 8/20/09 came out of surgery with a fever, then was left in the hospital bed for 4 days because my legs were weak and ended with a bed sore on my buttocks area which was a stage 4 with a fever for months after the surgery and three hospitals later. I am home after 8 month in the hospita and rehab. I am doing better and working hard with PT to get a good knee working again.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Tip for hives
My daughter suffers with hives, they have never found out what causes her hives either. We thought since I was recently diagnosed that ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.