Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Injection site pain
zenada posted:
have just joined this community. i was glad to find somewhere that i could ask questions to people that have MS like i do. i was diagnosed in 1995. i am taking betaseron. i do injections every other day. i usually do not have any problems but i am having servere pain at one of my injection sites. i don't know if i hit a nerve or what. i have trouble walking because of the pain and i can't touch the site without terrible pain. does anyone have any suggestions on using ice or a heating pad. this has been going on for about 10 days.

roberlyn responded:
that sounds terrible ... time to see a doc, i'd say! i haven't had that from rebif shots (but i only inject 3x/week).

you could also call betaseron's patient line: BETAPLUS at 1-800-788-1467

zenada replied to roberlyn's response:
thank you for the advice. i did call the BETAPLUS hotline and was told to call my doctor in the morning to take a look at it.
thanks again

roberlyn replied to zenada's response:
no problem. good luck!!!

robyn

swampster1952 responded:
Hello Zenada,

As usual, Robyn's advice was right on.

I did Betaseron for 6 years and had a few of those type of reactions too, although not so severe in the pain catagory. My problem was injecting in my belly and not quite getting through the fat lay, which ended up injecting the med into the layer of fat. This can lead to necrotic tissue damage.

So be sure you are not injecting into the fat but just below it. This may not be your problem so be sure and go see your doctor!

Dave

Dave

emilymeredith replied to swampster1952's response:
Hi Zenada,

I know there is a clinical research study going on right now
for an investigational drug that is taken as a pill (instead of
injections). The study is called the "DreaMS study" (stands
for Drug Research Evaluation for Multiple Sclerosis). The website
for it is http://bit.ly/cuShlj . Just so you know, the
company I work for developed the website and is helping the
pharmaceutical sponsor get the word out about the trial.

-emily

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
105 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.