Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Gilenya Use and Elevated Liver Enzyme Levels
JustASmallTownGal posted:
I've been on Gilenya for the past 4 weeks. Everything has been going great for the most part. However, my blood tests are starting to show elevated liver enzyme levels. So far it's not at a level that's necessarily abnormal for the drug and also isn't at a level that would damage my liver. They're just having blood drawn every 2 weeks to keep an eye on it.

Has anyone else who is on Gilenya had elevated liver enzyme levels? Has anyone actually gotten pulled off because of this?

MVGallegos1 responded:
That's interesting, I have just started Gilenya about 3 weeks ago. I assume my doc will do more blood work on my next visit which is in early Jan.

Please keep us posted, I'm intersted to follow yours usage of gilenya.

JustASmallTownGal responded:
I got a response from another Gilenya user on a different site. Apparently liver enzyme level increases are fairly common in the first 6 weeks and then typically decrease down to normal after that in most cases.

Here's hoping that includes me!!

MVGallegos1 replied to JustASmallTownGal's response:
Yes! Let's hope! I'll check in when I have my blood work done early Jan.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
105 of 107 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.