Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Multiple Sclerosis & Anabolic Steroids
sismediagroup posted:
Hello,

I am a 54 year old female and have been living with MS now for 20 years now.

Over the past 20 years I have been going through several different medications to try to help with the MS pain management, some of the medications I have tried are below:

• Mycophenol (chemo medication)
  • Ampyra
  • Avenext
Currently I am taking Copaxone for the MS and the symptoms.

I have been doing alot of research about MS and various things because my MS is getting worse and I am finding that I am becoming more and more weak.

I have read alot of articles about MS patients being treated with Anabolic Steroids, and how it can help build strength back in patients as well as helping with the nerve damage.

I am wondering what you think about this doctor, and if anyone knows any doctors in the New Jersey/NYC area that has treated MS with anabolic steroids.

Thank you in advance.

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
Sorry, but I do not think anabolic steroids would be a good idea for you. The medications you have taken will not stop pain.
If your neurologist is not able to help your pain, sometimes a pain management physician can be helpful.

sismediagroup replied to Neil S Lava, MD's response:
Thank you Neil,

I am not looking so much to stop pain, but for more mobility and not being so weak all the time, as in today I find myself being more weak and hard to be mobile.

swampster1952 replied to lifesaver33's response:
Hello sis,

The reply made to your post by lifesaver has no validity what so ever for what you are trying to do. Please do not do as he suggests!

Dave

Michael58965 responded:
I have been living with aids for 4 years and have been treated with Deca and Test in NYC since i just moved to NJ i cannot find a dr who will prescribe those drugs i lost 30 lb and im on 5 different anti depresents. I wanted to now if anyone could help me to find a dr in NJ who will consider putting me back on those meds they woked wonders for me

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Dreams: My Journey with Multiple Sclerosis
At seven years old I absolutely knew what I wanted to do with my life: become a performer and maybe head for Broadway! A basement ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.