Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
anything worse than not knowen?
jrswannie1 posted:
Still doing the waiting game. I am having a boat load of symptoms am the ones bothering me the most lately is pain in my shoulder and spasms in my forearms. I also have the same spasms in my left calf. My first spasm was insanely painfull and lasted 4 days. The ones in my forearms are barely their but when I channel surf, drive, or talk/text, they intensify a lot.

I have another neuro apmt. the 25th and I think I am going to ask for something even without the dx yet.

Csewhappy responded:
Hi JR

Sorry you're feeling so sore at the moment. Definitely ask for meds that will help in the meantime. I'm on Gabapentin for the sorts of things that you're describing and, luckily for me, it works a treat. (It seems to be mentioned on here as Neurontin.)

The neuro mentioned it, but he didn't write a script for it ,,,seemed to think my GP should do it. My GP was surprised he hadn't prescribed it, but, after checking, she went ahead and I've been on it ever since ... about a year now. It makes a huge difference to my life!

Take care, partner-in --Limbo,

Carol

jrswannie1 replied to Csewhappy's response:
Thanks for the advice. I just want my endurance back. I gained 40 lbs and I tried to do some push-ups and the spasms just got worse in the arm. I just can't win. When I did sit-ups, my stomach spasms came around more often. Ya the fatigue, I just don't feel like running.

I will keep pushen forward, just had to let a bit of hot air out!

Thanks Csew

jrswannie1 replied to jrswannie1's response:
7 days for my next apmt, hopefully something new. I want to get this started b4 the Phoenix 120 degree temps come in.

Jeffrey A Rumbaugh, MD, PhD replied to jrswannie1's response:
Do you have a known diagnosis of multiple sclerosis, or is you diagnosis still completely unknown. Spasms of the forearms would be an unusual symptom for MS. It is important to keep working with your doctor until you have a diagnosis. I would not encourage you to "doctor shop" until you get a diagnosis that you like, but a second opinion might be reasonable, if the first doctor cannot provide a satisfactory answer. Treatment without a diagnosis is sometimes okay, but often not recommended because you are likely to just end up on an ineffective medicine putting you at risk for side effects or other adverse effects. For example, if the pain in your forearms is not due to nerve pain, gabapentin/Neurontin is unlikely to help.

beckym2005 replied to Csewhappy's response:
Glad i'm not the only one who has been in the middle of a tug of war over which Dr needs to write the prescription - when i had optic neuritis the eye dr and my GP were fighing over how had to write out the script - took a few days to resolve and my eye was killing me the whole time - only to find out they should have given me iv meds immediatly. But I had to to all the calling and pestering trying to get someone to write the darn thing.

I wish we had a better way to rate drs - one central website although i have found a couple good rating sites. it's still hard to know who to trust with your health.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D
I've had MS since 2001 and had flare ups usually twice a year. Although I have mild MS with tingling and with flare up moderate pain I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.