Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Thinking about Tysabri-
Lovett24 posted:
I was diagnosed with MS a year ago, and since then, I have had 4 flare-ups, Bell's Palsy, pneumonia, and fallen and broken my ankle in two places. I do take Copaxone daily, but I am wondering if it is working with all of the problems I am having. I am thinking of getting a second opinion and considering Tysabri. Any insight?

kshah0512 responded:
hey Lovett24 sorry to hear about your complications. I was diagnosed 11 yrs ago and have been on Copaxone since diag. I have had pneumonia 3 times and I fell 2 yrs ago and broke my leg and ankle. Copaxone has worked great for me even with some flair-ups. You have to remember this is an autoimmune disease which means you will be more susceptible to illness. Prior to breaking my leg, I would fall off my foot quite often which is how I broke it. Do you have an issues with balance or coordination? Personally I will not stop using the Copaxone. I have very few side effects and the flair-ups are minor compared to what they were before.

I hope this helps.
Karen

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
Patients with multiple sclerosis have varied types of symptoms and symptom frequency. As a neurologist, I always want to make sure that the medication I gave my patients is most effectively quieting down the immune system.

You should talk with her neurologist about the fact that you've had 4 exacerbations in a year while on Copaxone. Depending on your previous disease activity this may be good control or not. A repeat MRI also may be helpful to see how active the immune system is at this time.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D
I've had MS since 2001 and had flare ups usually twice a year. Although I have mild MS with tingling and with flare up moderate pain I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.