Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Vision issues
keckaroo posted:

I have had MS for 11 yrs now. It started with optical neuritis. Lately I have noticed my vision has gotten much worse. The problem I am having and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, is that if light gets in my right eye only, be it sunlight or a headlight behind me, I have a blindspot in my eye for quite a while. You know if you look at a flashlight directly it will fade your vision for a bit...not sure if this makes sense. It is really annoying as it takes a good 30 minutes or more to fade out to where I can see normal again....any ideas?

beckym2005 responded:
I just had my eye appt today for my yearly checkup for eyeglasses. ITs my first "normal" eye appt since my first episode of optic neuritis. I too have times where my vison does some wierd thigs - similar to yours or sometimes they just seem a little off or blurry. I start to worry if it's MS or not or if it's a temp issue, do i need to call the DR or what? My eye dr recommended that i find a red object - stare at it with my good eye with the other covered then switch - if the color intensity is noticably dimmed, it's due to the nerve - and it's probably time to call the dr. I would still mention the problems to the eye dr but if it does not last more than 24 hours i would not worry too much. But again - this is only from my exp and I am not a dr :) no matter how much Grays Anatomy I watch.

Becky

roberlyn responded:
hi there. i get that too, although it doesn't often take 30 minutes to go away. but it's definitely way longer than normal. i also think i'm seeing light differently in one eye than the other, which makes seeing in bright sunlight difficult sometimes. it's totally annoying. i wish i had a solution for you!

robyn

roberlyn replied to beckym2005's response:
becky, i like your response but i have something to add -- if you already have permanent damage from ON in one eye or the other from a previous episode, the red object trick won't work. i wish i had known it before my first and second episodes! maybe i would have called the doc sooner.

robyn

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Wealth of vitamin D and MS information
There is a lot of information on vitamin D and MS at VitaminDWiki. Shortcut to the MS material is http://tinyurl.com/MSVitaminD . You ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.