Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
im new
ericap1 posted:
im new to this my name is erica and i was diagnosed with ms this past july. im still having some issues dealing with this, I feel like my family doesn't understand want im going through and right now my dr wants me to go on meds for ms, but i havent yet, i just dont really know what to do, and feel like i have no one to go to for advice..... and i fiqured this might be a good way to vent

beckym2005 responded:
Just wanted to say Hi. I found out almost a yr ago that I had MS. I think I sill have issues processing the fact that I have MS. Your family does not know what you aare going through to be honest. Hopefully they can help support you and let you vent but unless they have MS, they cant know how you feel. We all deal with this differently. You will probably go through a depression just processing the fact you now have this disease that may or may not destroy your life. I would say to get on meds as soon as possible. they are supposed to help keep MS from destroying even more. Its not a cure but they help. That being said, it's hard to give yourself a shot. Its not the shot part for me - i thought it would be no big deal - i have given myself shots before. My meds are "funny" for lack of a better term. Some times i hardly feel the shot - other times I sob like a baby after, Most times are somewhere in between - never knowing untill the shot is going in how bad its going to hurt. Luckily for me, my husband helps give me my shots - he listens to me vent. I dont want to scare you off the meds- they are important to start - i'd rather fight than let the ms take what i enjoy about life. But it's hard taking a med that you cant see or feel it working.
There are a lot of people with a lot of different views on ms and its treatment. I say to each thier own - it's about what you and your drs think is right for you.

What symptoms did you have that diagnosed you? Myself, it was optic neuritis. I think sometimes i am still in shock a year later. it's a lot to process.

please feel free to post if you have any questions or just want to vent. The people here are very nice and try to help when they can.

Becky
PS I am a 37 yr old mom of twin 4 yr old boys from IL

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
106 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.