Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Importance of Cognitive Testing
kshah0512 posted:
If I were to give one key piece of advice to anyone recently diagnosed with MS it would be to request a Cognitive Test. I don't believe most Neuro suggest you have this test and it should be once you have a definate diag. There may come a time when the MS effects your ability to perform at work. You need a baseline to compare with when that time comes. If you need to apply for SS it is a one more piece of information that will assist you in the process. In my case, I never had a baseline, and when my cognitive testing was done and I was at the point I couldn't work any longer, I was considered to be at the "lower end of normal for a MS patient". I would not have been able to excel at the positions I held with a "lower end of normal for a MS patient".

Just wanted to throw this out there....it is important to know what your baseline is upon diag. and REQUEST COPIES OF ALL TEST RESULTS!!!

I hope this helps someone.

Karen

beckym2005 responded:
Karen - THANK YOU. I really think you just helped me. I have been having some issues and asked about testing my cognition and my Dr wants me to get a repeat MRI to see if lesions are back. I left the appt and realized he never answered me on the cognition testing qand I was debating on weather or not to ask to be tested.

Is the test something they do at the Neuro? Are you hooked up to gagets? Heck - How about I just ask you what is involved? lol

Thank you for posting,

Becky

mmthlvr replied to beckym2005's response:
The neuropsyche test is interesting. They like to name several objects, talk about something elsethen ask you what those objects were. They will give you clues if you don't remember what they were, sometimes you remember sometimes you don't.

They also give you something like connect the dots & have you do it a certain way. Good thing is you're not hooked up to anything:)
Hugs
Tammy

LadeeEmpress responded:
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I am going to get on the phone today to start requesting this. I have noticed some changes in my cognitive abilities and really need to get a handle on this.

kshah0512 replied to mmthlvr's response:
Becky - I understand your frustation. I too was in a high pressure position and the go to person. As Tammy said the testing is easy to have done with the exception it is very lengthy....mine was about 4 hours. The test is performed by a Neurosurgeon (at least mine was) and is very expensive. I had to fight with the insurance company to pay for it...but thats not anything new...I fight with them over meds too.

Good luck in your quest...and you may have to fight to have it done. I believe that everyone who is diag. with MS needs a baseline test.

My best to you

Karen

hackwriter replied to kshah0512's response:
Interesting, I had never thought to request a cognitive test after my dx. I think I was in denial at the time anyway.

Fortunately, when the time came for me to apply for SSDI, Soc Sec sent me to a psychologist for the psych test, which only lasted an hour or so, in addition to a doc for a clinical exam--and I did badly enough on everything to win my claim a few months later.

Guess it's different from state to state and case to case. Better to be overprepared, I'm guessing!

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.