Includes Expert Content
lupus vs ms
An_204887 posted:
Can you be diagnosed with ms and lupus? Can one be confused for the other and how do you find out?

lovesweinerdogs responded:
Hi Anon! I just watched one of WebMD's little videos about lupus and according to them, if your ANA is negative that's a pretty good indication against lupus. I think that's why this has been so hard to figure out. Although I do not have a diagnosis myself, when I read about MS, it just "jived" MS makes more sense than lupus. I know people who have multiple health issues so I'm sure it is possible-I will pray that this is not the case for you!

Lovesweinerdogs

kshah0512 responded:
I find this a very interesting question? My brother was diag. with Systemic Lupus 30 yrs ago...then I was diag. with with MS 11 yrs ago. Both are considered autoimmune diseases from what I have been told. I was first tested for Lupus because of the family history. I recall seeing a study that was looking for family members...one with Lupus one with MS. So there must be some correlation between the two. I do know the Lupus testing is all blood test while the MS testing is a combination of medical history, MRI, Spinal etc.

I hope you find out you do not have either one of these diseases....but if you do they are both manageable.

Good Luck
Karen

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
Both Lupus and MS are diseases caused by immune system abnormalities. It is possible to have moth diseases. The usually have different clincial and laboratory manifestations.
your physician should be able to tell them apart, but you may need to see a rheumatologist to confirm a diagnosis of lupus and of course a neurologist for a diagnosis of MS.