Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
MS Research and Advancement
Emma_WebMD_Staff posted:
WebMD has put together a video with several doctors who have done some MS Research. The videos explain some of the research and advancement we've had with MS recently.

What our video on MS Research and Advancements .

How do you feel about MS Research? Was there anything in the video that surprised you?

lovesweinerdogs responded:
Hi Dr. Emma, one of the doctors mentioned that the treatments for MS frequently turned out to be also good for the treatment of depression. This sounds interesting-is it possible the chemical imbalances responsible for causing depression may also lead to the nerve problems in MS-in other words, maybe they share a common root cause? Sorry I'm not a scientist-I know what I'm trying to ask, I just don't know how to ask it!
Thanks, Dawn

Emma_WebMD_Staff replied to lovesweinerdogs's response:
Hi Lovesweinerdogs,

I am unsure myself from the video, I am going to ask one of the doctors on board to see if they know. From what I got from the video I think the improvement of the MS symptom helped the depression, but I really can't say that for sure. I'll send our doctors your question and hopefully one of them will answer for us.

Take care,
Emma

Jeffrey A Rumbaugh, MD, PhD replied to Emma_WebMD_Staff's response:
It's probably both. It makes common sense that people who are less symptomatic may feel less depressed. However, depression can be an actual part of an MS diagnosis, just like numbness or weakness or vision loss. Both MS and depression tend to affect young women, so there would be a high rate of patients having both diagnoses even if there were no relationship between the two diagnoses.

However, MS probably causes depression in some people, because there is a higher rate of depression in people with MS than there is in matched controls, and this is NOT accounted for by the presence of disabling symptoms in patients with MS. (Depression does not cause MS by the way.)

Most likely MS causes depression, in some people, by affecting neurotransmitters and/or disrupting nervous system pathways. So, theoretically, treating the MS, decreasing brain inflammation, could help those pathways and neurotransmitters to function better again and improve depression.

However, patients with depression and MS should be treated essentially the same as patients with depression and not MS, generally with antidepressants, counseling, and/or lifestyle modifications. And, of course, whether the depression is related to the MS or not, such patients require monitoring to make sure their depression is not worsening and they are not at risk for suicide.

swampster1952 replied to Jeffrey A Rumbaugh, MD, PhD's response:
Good morning Dr. Rumbaugh,

Would you do us a favor and break your text into paragraphs? Many of us have difficulty in reading long blocks of unbroken text.

Thanks,

Dave

BodoJ replied to swampster1952's response:
PLEASE!

Emma_WebMD_Staff replied to swampster1952's response:
We have had Dr. Rumbaugh's post edited, hopefully that helps you guys be able to read it better.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention!
Emma

lookingforinfo1970 replied to swampster1952's response:
Is there a way to private messenger a note to swampster1952?
Thank you,
Maria

hackwriter replied to lookingforinfo1970's response:
Hi Maria, Kim Dolce here, you recently visited my MS blog:

Not sure if I'm allowed to give you contact/name info, but Dave (swampster1952) is one of my facebook friends. He's Dave Maddux and you'll know you've got the right one by the profile picture of a big crocodile.

Kim

lookingforinfo1970 replied to hackwriter's response:
Thanks so much!!!

I hope today was a good day.

Maria

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.